Gardens

I’m really awful at gardens. A farmer friend gave me a tiny indoor tomato plant and I was doing ok with that until my daughter put it outside and it got too cold over night. It does still have a tiny tomato that is ripening so I won’t give up on it yet.

I often buy inexpensive herb plants bc even if I kill them I can use the herbs in the meantime. And they are cheaper than buying fresh herbs from the produce section. I bought mint yesterday and will try to get basil and maybe cilantro. (Cilantro is cheap enough but lasts longer on the plant than cut and in the fridge.)

be careful with planting mint. it can spread fast and become invasive

1 Like

We bought a house once with mint planted. You’re not wrong. I tamed it for a while before deciding we don’t need mint that badly and I killed it.

I often do some herbs in pots. I love fresh herbs, and having them right outside is great in terms of both freshness and cost. However, I didn’t get around to it this year.

I still have some chives that have survived for years with no attention. Rosemary also lasts for a long time. had some plants that lasted 15+ years with no attention. However, an exceptional brief cold snap here this past winter killed my one plant.

Basil thrives here in summer. You can get a bumper crop with minimal effort.

It’s pretty late to start here now. Maybe I’ll see if the nursery has a few leftovers. I’d like to have basil, rosemary, cilantro, and oregano.

Better than ok. They did great last year.

Mowing the lawn over invasively growing mint smells wonderful though

1 Like

I don’t do any fruit/vegetable/herb plantings, just flower plantings and wild growth. Mrs G directs the flower purchases, but we are by no means experts. I let a bit of area grow with whatever, both in the tree covered area and some of what used to be lawn. I don’t fertilize the lawn, and hand-weed the tall, uninteresting stuff, while leaving small stuff. In past years I’ve identified almost 20 types of wildflowers/weeds. Honeysuckle and virginia creeper need to be trimmed back/weeded as they are making a big push this year. Poison ivy is always a scourge, already had my first bout with it this year.

I would just be planting it in a tiered planter. It’s just in a pot for now.

I’ve found basil, thyme, and other herbs do the same thing.

Ever plant sunflowers? We planted them in the ground one year and they didn’t do great. But the next year they totally took over my 4x4 box. We just let them grow wild and they attracted bees and even hummingbirds. I’m leaving them.

I didn’t plant pumpkins this year but…

My spouse had a pumpkin on the step last fall. I threw it in the garden to compost. And now this.

2 Likes

Weaselette used our compost when she planted her tomatoes this year. She got pumpkins instead.

You’d better squash that before it gets out of hand

1 Like

Oh my gourd, yes!

1 Like

Obligatory Simpsons meme:

1 Like

I’ve been bringing tomatoes, cherry tomatoes, squash, cucumber and peas almost daily to work with me to get rid of. I almost cannot keep up with my garden rn.

I stopped replanting carrots and onions. They’re not growing nice.

Oooh, I’m jealous of your coworkers. Garden fresh veggies are the best.

Todays harvest

5 Likes

Time to tell your coworkers they’re $175 each, imo. :thinking:

5 Likes

Zuchinni’s, there’s no middle ground is there?

Picked a bucket of beans last night. Normally I pickle them and the kids use them in their drinks but I was lazy so just a blanch, vacuum seal and freeze.

Next up, buddy’s pear treea are almost ripe.i quit canning pears because it was too much work but this year I’m gonna go all tom sawyer and get a bunch of students to help me.

There’s a half dozen pumpkins growing now on that monster pumpkin plant I posted a picture of earlier

1 Like

I want to do a giant pumpkin next year. I think it’d be fun to do and display it at halloween somehow. My neighbor doesn’t like the idea due to the space it eliminates.

1 Like