FreeDumb Convoy

The problem with doing that is setting precedence on how demonstrations are being handled. The police of course have a very bad rap with how they deal with indigenous protestors. And yes, there’s a clear double standard by the police. But that doesn’t mean it’s right.
We either let the protestors stay, perhaps with limitations, and then let the indigineous folks stay next time they block a railway line, or they both go. We don’t get to pick how we treat protestors based on whether we like their cause or not.
(for the Americans in the crowd, our indigineous folks have in the past shut down rail lines. Then the popo come in and violence ensues. In ottawa with these dingdongs, the police are taking selfies with the protestors).

3 Likes

That philosphy doesn’t necessarily translate to Canada.

In the US, the people are sovereign and have G-d - given rights.

While American philosophy holds that everyone has inalienable rights, one could argue that in a monarchy, the assumption is that the people have only those rights granted by the Sovereign (even if the grants were sometimes made unwillingly).

I was traveling to Canada regularly pre-pandemic. One of the more interesting realizations I made is that the principles underlying my diluted libertarianism don’t necessarily translate up there. There’s a certain dissonance to my distrust of government when in a country where the local equivalent to “life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness” is (I understand) “peace, order, and good government.”

5 Likes

Agree the army isn’t the best solution here, my point was more to say what are the options other than ignoring them? Not great imo.

I see this protest as less critical than the railroad blockades. These suck for people in Ottawa, but we can still ship goods across the country.

2 Likes

Fun anecdote. I have a Canadian aunt who is anti-vax, anti-any precautions, etc.

She tested negative before crossing to the US. On the way back she decided she didn’t feel like testing and just went to the border and tried to show her old negative test. Her last stateside words to the family were, “What will they do, arrest me?” She was flagged but due to the backup was allowed to cross.

Fast-forward 2 days, she was arrested at home, taken to the precinct to test in front of an officer, then sentenced to 14 days mandatory home quarantine. And she’s a high-ranking government official.

3 Likes

Give police power to seize the trucks. Come in and start smashing them to shit.

A semi costs 150k new, so probably still 100k used. How many of these guys are willing to lose a 100k truck for their “freedoms”?

1 Like

I would have thought “disturbing the peace” and “obstructing traffic” and even “improper parking” or such would have been easy, permissible laws to enforce to remove trucks and drivers. Apparently not - which is why when you quit enforcing laws, everyone intent on creating havoc sees it as a green light to go feral.

Consequences matter. Apply them, and they have an impact.

1 Like

That’s sounds a little bit fascist. Perhaps you can come up with a slightly better proposal.

5 Likes

Court injunction to stop honking

1 Like

Why would I do that? Break the toddlers shit if they won’t stop whinging.

This. Let the people protest, I’m all for protests against the government. Let them march. Let them protest how ever they are allowed to protest. Letting people protest with semi’s is foolish and dangerous.

Protestors attempted to start a fire in a downtown condo building

Do parents break their toddlers shit? I feel like I paid for that shit.

Replace toddlers with teenagers…

Speaking of white nationalists, my coop keeps using this emoji :ok_man:
I’ve no idea what that is everytime they send it. It’s apparently means ‘OK’. I mention that normally that’d be a circle made by a thumb and finger.
Pause.
Oh yeah, I guess that’s been co-opted now. Co-op isn’t going to start flashing me white nationalists signs in the company IM system.

You take the toys away sometimes if the toddler keeps throwing tantrums and ignoring them doesn’t work

Yeah, and they sealed the doors behind them.
Someone’s going to prison.

You know what does work? Singing loudly and obnoxiously at them. Grab a mic and some speakers!

That song from the Little Mermaid that Skuttle sings is pretty effective - wah wah wah waaaaaah, wah WAAAAAAAAA.

That’s how they got Noriega!!! :man_singer: :woman_singer: :speaker:

1 Like

That’s how you do “OK” at the surface when scuba diving. :diving_mask:

1 Like

lol sing islamic and chinese songs. That should be fun