Free aofan-nonfan!

So Dr T Non-fan is an OK ID? (Sorry, DTNF, your ID was somewhat of an inspiration; I’m sorry if I offended you with my homage/parody)

Or its just if a member gets their knickers in a bunch there’s a problem?

I actually didn’t report the id, but i’m fine with them freezing it since it is trolling.

not sure if I know the total history on DTNF, but based on my understanding of it, DTNF was a non-fan of Traci for a specific reason, he wanted to have separate exam sections on the ao and initially Traci didn’t. It was also made over 19 years ago. Do you have a more recent example?

Not at the moment. I doubt I would find (m)any here since there are only a few people, but I could probably go to the AO and come up with “unfriendly” names.

I guess maybe my brand of humour is not accepted here.

Side note, what if I created PokeGoerNerds? Is that too unfriendly?

an alt that is a non-fan of me where i have no idea who the person behind it is comes across as pretty harassy. there is no spinning this.

good luck finding an equivalent id on the ao.

go for it with the PokeGoerNerds id. it doesn’t target any specific person. it’s about a game.

I guess parody has no place here…

Closing this ID.

aofan… do you have some element of authority here? I just want to know what I’m in for.

I could mess with you and claim I do, but nah, I don’t.

No, she’s not a moderator. I am a moderator. You can tell by the little shield thingy next to moderator names.

I objected to the ao fan nonfan id, though, because i thought it was created to harass ao fan.

The Dr T non fan ID was different because id was created as part of a crusade to split up the exam fora, and everyone knew it wasn’t personal. (Also, he was right about splitting up the fora, as even Dr.T came to agree.)

I get that the fan/nonfan thing is cute, and I’ll take you at your word that it wasn’t meant in ill spirits. But it still seems sort of trolly.

This forum officially allows you to have multiple IDs (although in a change from the ao, if any of your IDs is temp banned, it’s a violation of the tos to use another) so feel free to create a new id, even if you want to argue to get that one back. I suppose it might be technically a violation of the rule i just stated. But it was only silenced for the name, not for posting anything inappropriate. And i think i can speak on behalf of the moderation team that in this case, you are welcome to create and use a new id.

3 Likes

Last reply here.

We will leave our accounts dormant and you won’t be bothered by us any more.

Everyone is so sensitive here.

so the moderators here decided to be mods under their main accounts now instead of the moderator numbers? i already knew who all of their main id’s were on the ao other than one who is a surprise.

I like this better. Never liked the moderator numbers.

Gee. A guy takes a day off and misses all the good stuff!

1 Like

Since a moderator here has a clear indication of their status (which I don’t think the AO did), having a “Moderator Naming Scheme” to indicate that status isn’t needed.

But the overall structure of this platform affords some more control/influence by its members w/o moderator status as well.

oh, i thought the point of the numbered moderators was also because those numbered mods did not want their mod id linked to their regular id, and not just for it to be clear who mods were.

didn’t actually get this though. if you’re a mod, own it.

I agree with that. The limited power mods weren’t easily identified, although there were certainly ways to ascertain that someone was a limited power mod. (Couldn’t ignore them, there was a list somewhere of “assigned moderators” and probably other ways.)

And the thing about the limited power mods modding under their regular handles came about because Lucy chose to mod under her regular handle and then I chose to mod under my regular handle and thus a precedent was born. Tom asked me if I wanted him to set up an alt for me as a numbered limited power mod. I declined because it didn’t seem worth the hassle. I would have given myself away with 100% certainty within 3 months max and then it just would have been annoying to have to switch back & forth.

By the time they made Sam a limited power mod I don’t believe they even asked him if he wanted an anonymous “Moderator #” id.

By the way, I am not a mod on this site… just the dear departed AO. I’m mildly curious if I’ll still have mod powers if/when they reopen the site. I had mod powers in 3 fora: Political, the Political Mods forum, and the CAS Exam 5 forum. The first two are presumably going away, but the third will conceivably continue to exist. We’ll see. :woman_shrugging:

Eh, I understand the rationale behind it. Some AOers were pretty nasty to mods when they’re angry about a mod action they disagree with. That can carry through to other unrelated threads / conversations.

I had a an alt created for working in the Exam Forums, but I think it was pretty clear that it was intended to be a mod ID and which main ID it was attached.

Should’ve chosen non-aofan-fan imo

well the mods on this site are entirely public, so they must not hold that view here.