For my fellow Catholics

…and for a different kind of Catholic podcast:

I’ve been listening to this one, where one gets cocktail recipes, but also some stories about Catholic traditions about Saints’ feast days, etc.

1 Like

hmmm

not sure about this one

shoulda been POPE YES!

I think I really am gonna get myself some Popeyes this weekend, fr. They’re my fave.

and, just fyi – I have been a big WWN fan since I was a kid, and went to see Bat Boy: the Musical! when I was in grad school

I always wanted to write a book: an actuary reads the WWN … in the tradition of “a mathematician reads the newspaper”

1 Like

since that is a picture of a Passover Seder, White Castle makes no sense

EXACTLY!

(of course, Popeyes would also have to get rid of the biscuit, but I usually give that to Siobhan. I just want the fried chicken)

actually, no coating either

well, dang

Today is St. Catherine of Siena’s feast day, and she’s a Doctor of the Church

here’s a relic of her skull:

She had quite the life, and died at the age of 33. One of her big accomplishments was convincing the Pope to leave Avignon and go back to Rome.

Ew.

I could give you some more… interesting relics.

I understand Pope Francis has been visiting Hungary.

Well, one of their most famous relics is the Holy Hand of St. Stephen. He died in 1038.

At the Marian Shrine in Stony Point, NY – May 4 - May 9:

Vatican Exhibit of Eucharistic Miracles

Marian Shrine

174 Filors Lane, Stony Point, New York 10980

The Vatican International Exhibit of Eucharistic Miracles is being held at the Marian Shrine, located at 174 Filors Lane, Stony Point, NY 10980 in Fr. Tae-Seok John Lee Hall. The exhibit was created by Blessed Carlo Acutis and contains an extensive assortment of photographs and historical descriptions on 187 panels of the many Eucharist miracles that took place throughout the world, and which have been recognized by the Church. The facilities at the Marian Shrine are handicapped accessible. There is no cost to attend this event. The exhibit dates are as follows:

1. Thursday, May 4th, 2023; Exhibit opened 5:00 pm – 10:00 pm. (At 7:00 pm this evening only a speaker will present information on the life of Blessed Carlo Acutis, and the veneration of this 1st Class Relic will be offered. This talk is being held in the Shrine Church, a short distance from Fr. Tae-Seok Hall.)
  2. Friday, May 5th, 2023, Exhibit opened: 11:00 am – 4:00 pm and 6:30 pm – 9:00pm.
  3. Saturday, May 6th, 2023, Exhibit opened: 12:30pm – 7:30pm
  4. Sunday, May 7th, 2023, Exhibit opened: 11:30am – 5:00 pm
  5. Monday, May 8th, 2023, Exhibit opened: 11:00 am – 4:00 pm and 6:30 pm – 9:00 pm and
  6. Tuesday, May 9th, 2023, Exhibit opened: 11:00 am – 3:00 pm.
1 Like

Huh. She doesn’t look a day over 93.

1 Like

Happy Feast Day of St. Joseph the Worker!

Huh. I didn’t realize that St. Joseph as patron of workers had a different feast day than St. Joseph as patron of fathers on March 19 (the one I grew up with).

The really important saints – like Joseph, Mary, and John the Baptist – get multiple days

1 Like

Makes sense. Just as Mary is honored by many different titles, I didn’t consider that a few key others would too.

I did just learn last year that John the Baptist got two days – while most saints only get a feast day for when they died, he gets one for when he was born, too.

The early church needed a big-name saint to celebrate around the time of the summer solstice?

1 Like