Fine Dining in the era of sustainable farming

I went to the Vegetarian section of the Taco Bell menu just for laffs: lotsa beans and cheese there!!! :volcano: :taco: :burrito:

I do make a point to only eat ethically sourced veal and foie gras

Veal doesnā€™t have to be cruel, but does need to exist in our dairylissish world.

2 Likes

I donā€™t mind food that is naturally vegan. (many fruit / vegetable dishes, French fries, bread, peanut butter, hummus, chips, salsa, guacamole, etc.)

I very much mind when you have a vegan dish that is largely stuff that is supposed to be animal products. (fake meat, fake cheese, fake butter, fake milk, fake yogurt, fake eggs)

1 Like

I dont mind an occasional veggie burger, though will opt for meat, even Turkey first

Dunkin has a veggie sausage patty I particularly like

We rarely go out. I cook most dinners when not working evenings. I would say about 1 in 5 meals are vegan and another 2 are vegetarian.

Who hurt you?

2 Likes

Where I live, the only vegan restaurant that I know of is run by a bunch of dirty hippies that donā€™t use deodorant. So, no, I donā€™t want to go there. To be fair though, fine dining around here means you wear your church jeans instead of your everyday jeans when you go out to eat.

2 Likes

I did not know this. My brother just accepted a (remote) NYC job and will be coming out 1-2 times a year. He and his wife are vegan. Iā€™ll definitely recommend them.

Here we goā€¦

Another vegan optionā€¦

IANAVegan, but if honey is considered a non-vegan animal product then it seems logically inconsistent to claim that a product ā€œgrown from chicken cellsā€ is vegan / is an option for vegans.

Worth noting is that the company does not appear to be touting the product as vegan. Iā€™m not sure if it would be considered vegetarian or not.

The best burger Iā€™ve had in my life is an impossible burger from a gay bar. I dunno if itā€™s the patty or the sauce they add to it. Regardless, it makes me want to order an impossible burger every time I want to order a burger regardless of the restaurant now. Itā€™s literally tastier than meat, better texture, more juices, better taste.

I do like foie gras. I donā€™t think about it. But if Iā€™m going to be eating it, itā€™d better be perfectly cooked so the torture is worth it.

1 Like

I enjoy meat and eat it regularly, but also eat a fair number of meals with no meat. I used to find most simulated meats unappealing. However, the impossible burger can be delicious. I have only had a couple, but it was a suitable beef replacement. The 2 I had werenā€™t as good as the best beef burgers around, but they were certainly delicious.

1 Like

The kids brought in foie gras a couple weeks ago. I chose not to eat it. Never had it, never will. Iā€™m reasonably firm on where I draw the line with meat.

Iā€™d never eat eggs either if they werenā€™t so pervasive. Source: Iā€™ve been inside the barn at an egg farm.

That was my impression as well, I tried Beyond and Impossible at home, and the Impossible Whopper. Taste was nice, texture was really close, and by the time you add cheese and onions and all that, good enough. If you just served me one and didnā€™t tell me it was fake meat, Iā€™d never know.

The arguments for veganism are based on ethics and diet. Honey can be rejected for ethics or dietary reasons. Lab grown meat removes the ethical argument of animal cruelty but does not change the is eating chicken meat good for you argument. Note: lab grown meat brings up other ethical arguments. Your logical inconsistency is rooted in an oversimplification of a set of beliefs not unlike claiming Christianity is inconsistent by comparing Baptist practices to Lutheran practices.

1 Like

I eat eggs, I try to get them locally homegrown sourced. I have been in the buildings in an egg factory. Egg factories are so cruel I have trouble calling them farms.

1 Like

Eh, I think most people who call themselves vegans would not eat chicken meat even if they knew it came from a humanely treated animal.

I do know several non-vegans who will only eat animal products if they feel confident that the animals were not mistreated. In Portland it is common for restaurants to list the farm where they get their animal products right on the menu. (Roasted ABC Farms Chicken or XYZ Dairy Ice Cream) But ethically-sourced food is not vegan food. And not all vegan food is ethically sourced either.

I doubt there is a material difference between the treatment of the chickens whose cells went into the Upside Foods laboratory vs chickens raised on an ethically sourced farm. Or if there is, it would be in the direction of the ethically sourced food.

One thing I do when buying eggs is look at the cholesterol content. Not because Iā€™m concerned about eating cholesterol, but because I think you can tell something about the health of the chickens and probably the egg itself by it. It ranges from about 50% - 78%. I try to only buy about 62% or lower. There seem to be a lot that are 62%.

The cheapest eggs are higher in cholesterol and I assume that is also correlated, probably with causation, with what the hens are fed and how they are treated.

I donā€™t know but would suspect itā€™s 100 percent what theyā€™re fed and nothing about how theyā€™re treated.

I bet theyā€™re all kept in cages with no room to move (like, none at all).