Fine Dining in the era of sustainable farming

Had to make this topic because I just heard that Eleven Madison Avenue in NYC went fully vegan, and that was in my to do list next year for fine dining with the wifey.

I am actually reconsidering a few dining options based on this latest turn.

So am curious, would you all go to a fine dining establishment based only on vegan options?

I have done this with the wife in Berlin a few years back.

Cookies and Cream (1 star michelin)

Was a strange menu, but with the advent of meatless options I think many areas could be improved.

Have been to 11 Madison - around 21 years ago

As to the question, probably not, not at the cost of an 11 Madison.
Unless the people I am with will only go vegan.

Not that I wonā€™t like the food, just that I am sure I would consider it a full fine dining experience that I would want at a restaurant of that level

Desmondā€™s Tavern at Park & 30th has good fries, at least the last time I was there. Donā€™t know if they have a Happy Hour. :man_shrugging:

OMG!!! OMG!!! OMG!!! THEY DO HAVE A HAPPY HOUR!!!

https://goo.gl/maps/d8nBUkbEX88xeU1P7

1 Like

I have choices in where I go out to dinner.
I would not choose to go to a vegan-only restaurant.

Heck, I went to a vegan wedding reception (free ā€œfoodā€), and on the way home, we went to a restaurant and paid for regular food. Not that the ā€œfoodā€ was bad, it just didnā€™t sate me. (It was also one of our favorite restaurants, and it was on the way home.)

Five guys? I feel like if I ate at a vegan wedding and didnā€™t feel full it would make me really want a cheeseburger :laughing:

No, it was an actual, sit-down, fancy restaurant with meat and dairy on the menu.
To make my point clear, I ordered the Lobster bisque.

yada-yada, I walked home from her place the morning after.

1 Like

I have the same problem.

I just donā€™t feel satiated after a vegan menu.

But like I said, the technology for meatless options seems to be evolving rapidly now, so am keeping an open mind

ā€œVegetarians, and their Hezbollah-like splinter-faction, the vegans, are a persistent irritant to any chef worth a damn.

To me, life without veal stock, pork fat, sausage, organ meat, demi-glace, or even stinky cheese is a life not worth living.

Vegetarians are the enemy of everything good and decent in the human spirit, an affront to all I stand for, the pure enjoyment of food. The body, these waterheads imagine, is a temple that should not be polluted by animal protein. Itā€™s healthier, they insist, though every vegetarian waiter Iā€™ve worked with is brought down by any rumor of a cold.

Oh, Iā€™ll accomodate them, Iā€™ll rummage around for something to feed them, for a ā€˜vegetarian plateā€™, if called on to do so. Fourteen dollars for a few slices of grilled eggplant and zucchini suits my food cost fine.ā€

Anthony Bourdain (RIP)

Iā€™ve had some amazing vegan food in my day, but I expect an upscale place to use the philosophy above.

1 Like

I do abstain from this though, to the chagrin of my Italian in-laws

Oh, I keep an open mind.

My wallet, though, ā€¦

1 Like

One of my favorite restaurants in my city has a tasting menu format, and they always have a full vegetarian option. I havenā€™t tried the veggie version myself, but others here rave about it.

A meal without meat of some sort is like a day without sunshine.

3 Likes

I donā€™t mind an occasional vegan meal. I prefer that it doesnā€™t pretend to be meat. Or anything itā€™s not. I donā€™t mind a veggie burger, but letā€™s just call it that.

I donā€™t like it when Iā€™m asked to pretend cauliflower is rice or anything other than cauliflower. But that tends to happen more with the gluten free crowd.

I like Daiya pizzas, for example, but I donā€™t buy the ones with fake meat. For some reason the fake cheese doesnā€™t bother me as much.

The article about Eleven that I read said they arenā€™t going full vegan. They will still have milk and honey for coffee and tea.

And did Anthony Bourdain accidentally end up at a vegan restaurant?

He was in Punjab in a Parts Unknown episode and was very complimentary about the vegetarian cuisine!

I could eat (and have eaten) vegetarian Indian food weeks on end. However, itā€™s often not vegan as ghee is used a lot.

Kitchen Confidential

1 Like

I donā€™t have the fine dining budget some of you fortunate folks do, but if cost werenā€™t an issue, I would be fine with experimenting with ā€œartificialā€ protein sources. I think they have a way to go yet, but I am not at all opposed to them.

Thereā€™s a good vegan place in my city, but it definitely is on the pricey side. I only go if I happen to be in the neighbourhood.

Unlike Canda, Taco Bell is always in the neighborhood here.