Filing question

And they could check to see if you were registered for stuff like SOA or AAA in-person meetings, I guess.

A lot of the webinars they probably can’t. If the employer registers and pays the fee for 3-9 attendees how would the SOA or AAA know who the attendees were?

If I attend an online local actuaries club meeting they have no idea who attended. And for Business Skills credits I’ve counted stuff like training on public speaking or management or a SAS class. They’d have no way to verify that stuff.

that’s my point. most of it is webinars that the company registers and pays for for hundreds of people. my company has it’s own in-person meeting for additional CE above webinars. people from my company typically don’t attend the in-person SOA meetings.

Yeah, so as I said, they are requiring documentation rather than proof.

That said, if they did somehow catch you lying… I assume the ABCD would be involved.

For the USQS, you only need 6 hours of organized activity, the rest can be done on your own time, and there’s no way to prove you didn’t do them. An actuary is expected to act with honesty and integrity.

2 Likes

It’s all an honor system to a certain extent.

similar to self checkout registers. You can steal shit or input non-organic items for organic if you really wanna steal a few bucks.

And even the organized stuff can be a local actuarial club. Heck, by their criteria, reading this thread could be considered organized professionalism credit.

1 Like

Everything is bananas.

1 Like

our documentation is way less onerous than other roles have. even insurance producers/agents have to get confirmed attendance or pass some test proving they were there. we just have to track and turn it in. no one knows who was actually present or what you actually read when you claimed “self study of the asops.” unless audited. but as NA said, we are obligated to act with honesty and integrity.

1 Like

Yep, and really, 6 “hours”, which is actually only 5 hours.

I loathe their definition of hours. I track minutes and convert all of the requirements to minutes.

300 minutes of Organized
150 minutes of Professionalism
1,500 minutes total
Max of 150 minutes of Business Skills

1 Like

There’s a bias requirement now too, 50 minutes.

1 Like

Oh right, I forgot about that one. :grimacing:

1 Like

yeah, there was a webinar on October 26 that I think satisfies that with the CCA that I teamed in on.

I got audited through the CIA becuase I let it lapse and then reinstated - which was really an audit of SOA Section B. That was months ago and I haven’t heard anything, so I’m assuming I’m fine.

Anyways, doing the work I do it’s really easy to collect CE without going out of my way to attend things, which is nice.

https://www.ccactuaries.org/event-detail/2022/10/26/default-calendar/bias-in-actuarial-work-a-primer

assuming you can watch these after the fact?

1 Like

I knew someone who got audited by the joint board. He submitted his certificates of training for all his hours and then was told that wasn’t enough, they wanted him to provide his notes and the presentations themselves.

Thankfully my company provided printed handouts of all the presentations back then, so he actually had most of them, but not all of them.

It was pretty intense, and thankfully he had way more hours than he needed because he couldn’t provide documentation for all the trainings he had credit for.

I don’t know what they do now in the paperless era. I’m glad to not have to care anymore.

:astonished:

yeah, i figured an EA audit would be way more intense.

1 Like

to become an EA, passing the exams which already suck isn’t enough. i had to write a 6 page summary of my experience to prove myself worthy and get a supervisor to attest to my experience too. it’s good that i’ve been at my current company for over 10 years, otherwise i’d have to get a supervisor from my prior company to attest too. makes sense they would make an audit intense too.

1 Like

and then get paid the least in the field. doesn’t seem fair

nobody asked you to opine on my salary

Naw, it doesn’t meet the requirements for organized CE. It does meet the requirements for CE, though, especially if you learn something about the requirements.

And most of the CE actuaries need doesn’t have to be organized. It can be reading relevant papers. There’s really no way to prove that. It’s mostly honor system. But you are required to document your ce.