Fear of Flying

This won’t help me get over it.

1 Like

That wily roadrunner got away again didn’t he?

2 Likes

I think he may have been obliterated :grimacing:

Edit: I can’t read today.

If I didn’t make it clear, yes I was on that plane.

Sources on the scene (me) can confirm that at least one irrational passenger deboarded once back at RDU.

4 Likes

I haven’t flown in more than 3 years because I’m scared of being murdered by COVID. Might need to talk to a psych in taking a quick 30 minute flight as a warm up.

Thinking rationally, perhaps you’d rather be in the air to avoid all those coyotes on the ground.

4 Likes

Oh if you want to check out the FAA database of bird strikes (which includes hitting coyotes), look here:

https://wildlife.faa.gov/home

1 Like

For example, they have 807 recorded instances of hitting coyotes since 1990:

Looks like there’s a 3 week lag, we should see this updated with the North Carolina case next month.

1 Like

No, he didn’t make it:

1 Like

I have no fear of flying.

I have a huge fear of crashing.

2 Likes

You’re right - my real fear is actually experiencing the 30+ minutes that it takes for a plane to hit the ground once you know you’re already crashing.

So in that sense, I just experienced a watered down version of my greatest fear.

1 Like

Regardless of whether or not I’m correctly reading between the lines…I have empathy for this person, understand the need to deplane, and I hope s/he is [feeling better] (can’t quite think of the right words).

1 Like

You’re sweet.

It just wasn’t worth it to try to get to Chicago (for a presentation that I’m supposed to be doing today in about an hour and a half) after that happened.

I figured out how to get my texts working after the pilot announced nonchalantly that the gear was still down on account of a dead animal and the first thing I did was text husband “Omg coming back to Raleigh. Please come pick me up omg”.

2 Likes

Yeah, nope.

1 Like

I get to fly to Tex-ass next week, the anxiety is calling all the shots right now.

I don’t think I’m going anywhere without some sort of medically-prescribed tranquillizer now - I was solidly buzzed for take-off but drinking for every flight seems unsustainable at the rate I’m going nowadays.

1 Like

Because of flying or because of your destination?

wnb? amirite?

1 Like

I’m going to Austin, which is probably the best option if you have to go to Texas.

3 Likes

807 out of how many? Did I just win the lottery?