Fear of Flying

Or Massachusetts

2 Likes

you know, if you want, I could murder you before COVID gets you, just to eliminate the uncertainty.

1 Like

According to Wiki, here is some advice for getting on a plane again based on the Mr. T character in The A-Team. My theory is that his fear was based on trying to get through the metal detector with all that bling he was wearing.

A teetotaler, B. A. did not touch alcohol, preferring milk instead. He suffers from pteromerhanophobia, an intense fear of flying, especially when the pilot is Murdock. He typically exclaims, “I ain’t gettin’ on no plane!” This difficulty is often overcome by other members of the team drugging him, knocking him unconscious, or, as in one episode, hypnotizing him, so he can be transported without objection.

2 Likes

Nothing wrong with using some meds. You may want to have your spouse/buddy fly with you to record your altered state. I mean, to make sure you are safe.

1 Like

Let me know if you need any recs for places to go.

I realized my fear of flying is actually the fear of knowing your going to crash, so its the same as you. I dont fear the actual crash, because trains and buses are more dangerous than planes and I still take them. But for those vehicles a crash is instant. On a plane there is a chance that for 5 minutes you are tumbling through the air and possibly experiencing that is what scares me.

That said, i fly all the time. A few drinks at the bar help me out, but thats not a solution for everyone. I also got a prescription for mild benzos from my doc but i never use them.

I have found that the more i fly the less i am afraid. Only a little but its noticed.

Yeah we’re very similar.

For whatever reason, for this particular flight I cracked open a beer at somewhere around 2 PM (flight at 7:40 PM) because I was already starting to panic.

I finished the only other beer around 4 PM and my husband was like “Do you need me to go get more booze?” I guess because I looked a little more stressed than usual. I couldn’t shake this one - so I ended up downing maybe 4-5 Old Fashioneds in the hour before leaving. I think I’m glad I did.

All that said - I can’t do this every time I fly, mostly because I’m starting to fly a lot for work, but also because I shouldn’t.

And I’ve done Ativan before - for a trip to Paris. I slept all the way there. But my opinion on Ativan in general is that it’s pretty weak at the dosages they’re going to give me.

Glad you’re OK…unlike the Coyote.

Good luck with future lights, not sure I have any advice for you though, just good luck.

1 Like

ketamine, great tranquilizer, for horses

I can be a horse.

Not sure hubby would want you to be a horse, unless he is descended from Catherine the Great

What measure are you using for trains and buses being more dangerous - frequency or severity? I’m guessing that trains and buses have a higher frequency per mile but most passengers will survive a train or bus crash. For many people, I’m guessing the fear is the fact that most plane crashes result in a total loss. Part of it is also due to the fact that for anyone who is currently an adult, commercial plane crashes were much more frequent when we were growing up than they have been since 9/11. Aircrafts these days are much better maintained than before, technology has done a much better job of preventing crashes, and of course major improvements in security.

IFYP

They reinforced cockpit doors. That’s an improvement. The rest is mostly theater.

It’s more than that - those 12-ounce shampoo bottles can cause some serious injuries.

1 Like

Yeah… I’m putting that in the “theater” column. Especially given how easy it is to sneak one on board.

Let’s not forget those cute doggies that sniff us and our luggage as we get through security. Over Thanksgiving it was an East German shepherd - very disciplined.

This isn’t actually true though. I agree that is the most common fear, but it’s misguided by sensationalized media. I think the majority of commercial plane crashes result in few if any fatalities. They’re more like rough landings. Those just don’t get the same type of news coverages as something like the 2 Boeing 737-8 max crashes.

Did I mention I watch a lot of Mayday? I believe it’s exclusively called Air Disasters in your country (and I’m sorry to report that they really dumbed it down in the U.S. version). This has taught me a lot about how many things have to actually go wrong before a plane goes down.

So basically when I got on Coyote Ugly and they said (1) we may not be able to serve you since we’re expecting turbulance for 40-50 mintes due to weather, (2) it was one of the pilots’ first day, and (3) we hit a coyote late enough in the takeoff that we couldn’t abort - I really thought it was gonna a bad day for me.

Oh boy, I’m also slated to fly to Orlando for an SOA symposium in January. Can’t wait.

Is anyone else planning to be at that symposium, living to 100 or something like that?

Yeah, a lot can go wrong and the flight will still land safely… as was the case with your coyote strike.

I was on a flight where there was a horrifying loud noise that started maybe 5 or possibly 10 seconds before takeoff and continued until we were airborne. The pilots circled pretty close to the tower, twice, so the tower could take pictures and send to maintenance who confirmed it was a flat tire. Which they told us about right away, but in a way that did less to put my mind at ease than it might have.

So I was nervous the whole flight… obviously we don’t need a properly inflated tire while we’re in the air, but … don’t we need it to land?!?!

Apparently… no. The landing was fine and you wouldn’t even know there was an issue with the tire if you’d been somehow beamed aboard the aircraft mid-flight and no one bothered to tell you about the tire.