FBI Raid on Mar-a-Lago

Trump is certainly a worse human being. Buchanan’s decisions may have caused more harm, though that is certainly debatable, especially since we don’t know the full extent of Trump’s harm.

i’m not sure “worse harm” equates to worst president. depends on how you define it.

trump also encouraged the spreading of covid which killed thousands if you want to think about death as the qualifier.

actively causing harm to me is worse than just being lazy regardless.

Buchanan was more ineffective at saving the US than Trump was ineffective at destroying it.

Putting aside the trump vs buchanan question, trump keeping these classified documents at a country club, regardless of the legality of it, is about the single most incompetent thing i can imagine any president doing, ever.

4 Likes

However it does fit within the framework of Trump’s 5d chess strategy, of doing something completely idiotic and somewhat criminal, to land on the front page and get Republicans to vigorously defend you.

Debating whether I should carve some posts out of this thread to start a new thread on the topic of worst presidents

I had read that there was a Russian woman who was frequently at Mar-A-Lago who was busted as a spy recently Let me go see if I can find an article. Can’t remember exact details.

Edit: Easily found. She is a Ukrainian who several countries intelligence agencies are investigating as a spy. She posed as a fake Rothchild heiress

Sure, lemme just block off some time on my calendar to read 46 wikipedia pages.

2 Likes

There is maybe - MAYBE! - some room to debate it’s competency for a presidential candidate trying to get elected.

But not for a president whose first duty is to the constitution and national defense.

1 Like

Former FBI assistant director having the same thoughts I did.

1 Like

Blog post from National Review on comments by Bill Barr.

1 Like

of course that is a yuge motive to him. it’s the measure and point of most of his actions IMO. (when it isn’t direct revenge.)

1 Like

Obligatory “why not both?”

2 Likes

Well, theoretically, Trump can (and will) just tell people all our secrets. He doesn’t need the documentation.

In practice I guess nobody would trust him.

2 Likes

I doubt he has the mental capacity to remember much

It seems like it would be so easy to make photo copies.

1 Like

https://twitter.com/kyledcheney/status/1572000948318310402?t=wqtlDQu0lsFrEBB_zhMEng&s=19

JUST IN: Special Master Dearie has asked Trump’s team for declarations about any acftions he’s taken to declassify material. Trump’s team says i n a filing tonight that it is resisting that request — because it could be a defense to any criminal cahrges. storage.courtlistener.com/recap/gov.usco…

You can listen in on Tuesday according to this:

https://twitter.com/DonLew87/status/1571958150127030272

1 Like

The Special Master upon starting to review the documents: “Bro, you’re f***ed” :joy:

IANAL (of course)

the trump attorney is trying to say the govt has the burden to prove the docs seized are confidential and prefers not to address it themselves bc it might spoil/expose a defense in a criminal probe.

but this special master exists in a civil case - brought by trump as plaintiff. when plaintiffs move for relief w a claim that something has to happen in a civil case, usually they have the burden or proving why that is. if the plaintiff won’t bc of concerns for another (even related) criminal proceeding, that’s a tough box but a real one. A person chooses to be a plaintiff. So either the judge canon lawsuit is the wrong venue/reaction to the search at MAL or if it stays w Canon then…the plaintiff has to be ready to make a case.

but if the real goal is just more delay then it is a fine argument I suspect.