Fall 2023 Exam 8 Thread

How did you feel it compared to last sitting? Harder easier or the same?

Haven’t taken yet.

Are we allowed to stay in front of the computer while in a break?

I guess most of us will take it on Monday. Anyone who’s already done care to tell how it went?

You control the break (pause/unpause) so yes you can just sit there if you want.

I used the last 8 minutes I had back at the computer to ponder some stuff and see if I could work out some of the problems I had not yet attempted.

2 Likes

how did the exam go on your end this sitting?

I’ll let you know tomorrow :wink:
Panic is starting to set in now

I am on the same boat. Just want to take myself forward to Dec 15-20th and know my results. But haven’t even written yet lol.

1 Like

If they give me another 5 I think it’s because I’m on some black list not allowed to have my FCAS.

It was not an easy test but after studying this syllabus since early 2019 I feel extremely prepared. I understood what the question writer’s intended to ask even when it is written so poorly it felt like they focused on one paragraph of the source paper to base their question on because they didn’t understand or couldn’t be bothered with reading the rest.

The other wild card will be the pass mark. Historically you could leave one or two questions blank and still have a chance to pass an upper level but that seems impossible now. In 2019 one of my coworker’s who sat with me on 8 left 1-2 blank and got a 6. I left 3 and totally bombed the second IQ and got a 4. Last year I answered every question without guessing and got a 5 with a score report indicating a grade in the mid 70’s.

I’ll be interested to hear what those if you taking this for the first or second time think of how it was.

1 Like

I think it’s a fair one, the difficulty level is similar to last year. But if they cap pass ratio at 38% or below, then I’m hoping for a 6.

They seemed to improve the Pearson spreadsheet function, marginally but did us a big favor!

1 Like

How was the spreadsheet function improved? :thinking:
Heard last year was an easy one (outside of passing mark). Then 2023 is an easy one too? :open_mouth:

I think this sitting is harder than last sitting mainly due to the wordings and vague questions. I have 2-3 questions that I wasn’t completely sure what they are trying to ask but put something down anyway. Hoping for a better pass mark and a 6… (no 5 again)

Does anyone come across tech issues this time? My computer got logged out while I was doing survey. They told me my exam was uploaded successfully so it’s okay to not finish the survey… :expressionless:

They added a new function this time that was in Excel but not in Pearson spreadsheet before.
This sitting was not easy, but it had enough standard questions, similar to last year.
Have you taken it yet? What do you think?

I did. when I came back from the break, I couldn’t type anything, the keyboard didn’t work. So I had to wait for a few minutes until the administrator checked another person in and came to reload my exam…I was so nervous that he would accidentally removed or submitted my exam…

I took it today. I think it was hard. I left 2 low point questions blank. If everything else is (almost) correct - there is a chance.

I had some issues with timing as well. That’s on me though, cos I didn’t spend much time working with Pearson spreadsheets to prepare.

Also I asked if I could sit in front of the screen during the break and I was told yes. I used it to figure out a conceptual problem - I think the break option is a real improvement.

Well that’s BS. I sat back down at my computer and then she came back 2 seconds later and told me i had to resume the test right away. My brain was mush so may not have made much of a difference, but consistency would be nice.

I also left 2 small point questions blank because i didn’t know what they wanted but seemed fair for the most part otherwise (when talking about CAS exams that is). edit to say it was probably a bit on the long side

1 Like

That really sucks, because CAS never said that one has to leave the room during the break in their FAQ, it’s clear that leaving is optional. I hope they make it consistent.

This happened to me as well, was forced to resume my test immediately even though I still had like 6 minutes left. Definitely pissed me off.

Same exact thing happened to me. I initially panicked too until they told me my time was paused while the computer restarted