Excel Trace Dependents follow trace using keyboard

I prefer to use the keyboard in Excel and avoid using the mouse.

The current keystrokes to trace dependents is alt-m-d. However, that only shows the arrows.

What does one do if one wants to follow one of those arrows without using the mouse?

Why don’t you want to use the mouse?

I always do ctrl-]. That jumps you to the dependent if there is just one, or jumps to one and highlights all dependents if there are multiple. I don’t know of a way to select which it jumps to, though, in the case of multiples.

I use ctrl-] as well. As long as the dependents are on the same tab, it should high light all cells. You can then tab through them. The use of ctrl-] doesn’t seem to handle different tabs though.

I wonder if pressing CTRL+] additional times would cycle through the dependents on other worksheets . . .

Can’t answer for the OP, but I work faster using the original shortcut keys. (And “transition navigation keys” (Lotus 123-style).) 'cause that’s how I learned.

Now, I have not ever created my own shortcut, since I enable the shortcuts in Excel, without regard to what he latest Excel version shows on the tool bar. I loved having a one-touch print icon (no preview or setup page), but I have no idea where that icon is anymore, if it exists at all. So, I’d like to create a shortcut for “Print-no-preview.”

No, it goes to the dependent of the cell that it went to after the first ctrl-].
Edit: And apparently only searches the current worksheet at all, unlike alt-m-d.

Serious answer: Because it’s much faster to keep my hands on the keyboard.

Not-so-serious answer: Because the mouse is of the devil!

Okay…thanks for that, and to all for the discussion. It doesn’t look like Excel will do what I really want which is to bring up a list of all of the dependents (no matter which sheet they’re on) and let me select which one to go to…but I’ll have to try to memorize ctrl-]…and ctrl-[ for precedents. That might be helpful. :cowboy_hat_face:

I can’t remember where I got this code (it was from AO poster ADoubleDot)…[strike]perhaps from a kind poster on the AO or perhaps from ExcelTips or perhaps just from googling it[/strike]…regardless, given a selection of cells (you must have more than one selected), this code will cycle through each and highlight those with a precedent or dependent (depending on which on you run):

'code courtesy of AO poster ADoubleDot
Sub aaa_Trace_Dependents()
 Application.Calculation = xlCalculationManual
 Dim c As Range
 For Each c In Selection
  c.Select
  Selection.ShowDependents
 Next
End Sub

Sub aaa_Trace_Precedents()
 Application.Calculation = xlCalculationManual
 Dim c As Range
 For Each c In Selection
  c.Select
  Selection.ShowPrecedents
 Next
End Sub

That still leaves me with the “having to use the mouse to click on the arrows” problem.

You’re looking for “Quick Print (CPR126)”…Just like Prego - it’s in there.

When I first started interviewing, one of the interviews didn’t use his mouse and was navigating Excel like a god. I thought that was the pinnacle of being a successful actuary/anything. Note, at the time I barely knew how Excel worked, let alone being so proficient.

Fast forward a decade. I’m pretty good at Excel, but I have absolutely no desire to abandon the mouse. It’s like trying to play the piano blindfolded. It might be impressive, but whyyyyyyyy I have better things to do.

I’m not trying to convince you to come to the dark side, but I feel the same way about those who use the mouse – “I have better things to do” – it’s so slowwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww.

You don’t use “CTRL-C” for copying and “CTRL-V” for pasting?
Or “Alt-e, s, t” for pasting the format only?
Or “Alt-e, s, f” for pasting the formula only?
Or “Alt-e, s, v” for pasting the values only?
They’re all left-hand convenient. Allows me to keep my right hand on the mouse/number pad (my cursor) for other duties.

ctrl c and ctrl v yes, ctrl z, ctrl y, yes

I’ve seen people use the alt e s “whatever” but my hand doesn’t contort like that… do you hold the alt key like you do for alt+numpad symbols (and ctrl+c,v,z,y), or is it alt lift, e lift, s list, whatever?

Yeah I do those. I’m talking about abandoning the mouse altogether in Excel, like maybe using it 10% of the time.

I can’t

This. I’ve had the dependents one in my Personal macro workbook for a while under ADoubleDotIsTehAwesomeest. Thanks ADD!

Trying to form standardized writing translation for this.
With CRTL, you hold CRTL and whatever other key, so I write this as “CTRL-C” with a dash. Or, a “+” might be better.
With ALT, you don’t have to hold it with any other key (just checked!), although holding it with the first key is accepted. So, I (now) write that as, “ALT, e, s, t” with commas.
Try it! You’ll like it!

Yes, that was the poster. Thanks ADD!

Actually, no. I use ctrl+insert for copy, shift+insert for paste, and, when necessary, shift+delete for cut.

Otherwise, alt-e-s-[t, v] gets used a lot.

A co-worker with fewer fingers due to a hand injury prefers keyboard shortcuts, other people might have other reasons.