Excel Questionz

I can’t for the life of me remember the excel formula to do the following.

I have a cell with the following value in it: X
The next cell has a different column letter in it: AA

How do I return the value of X10 then AA10 using formulas?

I can’t remember how to return the value of a cell using a string that represent the cell name. Forgive me for being less of an actuary an even less of a human being

Just use Column()

Identify the column and go from there.

1 Like

I am having difficulty understanding exactly what you are asking but to answer this

I think you are looking for INDIRECT(column value&row value)

3 Likes

This worked. Thank you

=INDIRECT(BT13 & “10”)

Are you talking about referencing the value of another cell with column?

Yes. It seems straight-forward?

We can certainly forgive the excel forgetfulness. We can’t forgive putting a software question in careers. Bringeth out ye olde BanHammer! :judge: :hammer:

1 Like

The Indirect is the function that you want.

I think Polymath’s confusion, as well as my own, was partially a poor understanding of what you were asking.
X is not a value (value meaning a number instead of a letter of text) if you mean the letter “X” or were you trying to imply X was a variable that is a number and subject to changing?

“AA” is not “a letter”. “AA” is a pair of letters, but I assume you mean to imply that you are talking about column AA.

Where are you getting the 10 from?

1 Like

oh NOOO!! I CLICKED SOFTWARE AND TECHNOLOGY!!!

Dude this is like the 4th senior moment of this week.

Yesterday, I went to open my front door and pressed unlock on my key fob…

Yes this is correct.

10 is just the row with the column labels. So I’m just pulling column labels based on the Column letter.

It does what you asked, but don’t get married to it.

1 Like

well we’re engaged now and you’re going to be my best man

I’m honored.
But, she’s no good!

2 Likes

She’s no good? But she works! What more could you ask from a woman?

1 Like

Btw, you can use =cell(“address”,x10) to get x10 as a value. You’ll end up with something a liitle less glitchy.

But don’t use indirect, unless your spreadsheet is literally on fire.

4 Likes

See? She’s no good! Everyone says so.

Seriously, though: restructure the spreadsheet.

How does that work when X (the column value) is a variable?

I use it for very simple tasks: E.g., when I have to show information from several tabs for an Exhibit. The tabs are identical structurally but have different values, and I want the show values of, say, Cell B5, for each tab,
Never more complicated (like, say, using math) than that.

Indirect is a poor choice. It offers almost zero flexibility.

I agree. But I have about 25 INDIRECT formulae that are relatively identical, meaning: modify one, copy/paste to the rest. A cell outside the “print area” in each column has the tab name for that column in the “print area,” with all the " ’ ", while a cell outside the “print area” in each row has the cell reference for that row in the “print area” for that row.
Easy peasy. Like I said, no further math is necessary. The alternative is to have 25 distinct formulae.