Electric Bikes

I do really like the bike choice I made, but it is a very heavy bike. If you worry about supporting your own weight if you fall to your left, I agree you should be concerned about managing this one.

1 Like

Yeah, that is why i am thinking of trike.
So i can just get out there

To do what, just “pedal” around?
And, isn’t there snow where you are until May?

Pre-order
Delivery is in May
I live blocks from lakes with bike paths that i cannot use because i cannot walk more than 50 ft without a cane these days.
Sucks, but nothing is working and i am tired of not getting to do stuff and be outside in such a beautiful city

1 Like

Sucks, sorry to hear about that. Doing P.T.?

Did it for a while, didn’t help.
Looking to start again soon.

Like I told some friends, if i magically get healthy by the time the trike arrives in May, then i will sell it for a loss, get something with two wheels and be absurdly haply about finally getting healthy.

I just don’t want to waste another summer hoping i get better through this treatment.

Trike purchased.
Will report back in May.

8 Likes

Sounds like you’ve already made a decision, but if you have any bicycles you like or you don’t end up liking the trike you could also try training wheels. You can put them up high so they only catch you if you lose your balance and /or you could just put one on the left side. You’d lose a little ability to make sharp turns at higher speeds, but it might meet your needs.

Maybe that’s kind of dorky, but who cares?

1100w peak power, nice. Careful you aren’t doing wheelies on that thing.

1 Like

I am sorry to hear of your challenge.

My son had a terrible bicycle accident three years ago and will never be able to ride a bicycle again. He has been looking into electric tricycles as well so I would be interested to hear your opinion of yours in due course. He probably won’t be buying one until June.

3 Likes

I remember when this happened to your son.
I am glad to hear that he is ready to consider trike riding.
I will let you know how it works for me.

I also purchased my wife this one, so we could be out causing trouble in South Minneapolis

1 Like

now i will know who i am yelling to if running on the paths

1 Like

Are you closer to Hell’s Angels, or Hell’s Grannies? Just want to set my expectations if I’m in the area. Thanks.

1 Like

With how wide this thing is, i definitely will be exclusively on the bike paths and not the sidewalks or running paths.
Maybe if this helps recovery, then i real bike will follow.

Tricycles sometimes get dirty looks here on the bike paths but I have no problem with them. Better there than on busy streets.

Man in Vancouver was ticketed $598 recently for riding his motorized unicycle without the required motor vehicle insurance. Surprising since motor vehicle insurance is not required here for electric bicycles. Might be something buyers of electric bikes should check on locally before taking to the roads.

One annoying thing about ebike insurance here is that it seems the one big provider (Markel/Velosurance) does not sell liability only policies. That’s what I’d buy if I could, as I’d rather self insure the theft/physical damage coverage.

2 Likes

@ArthurItas how is the Lectric going? How many miles in the first few months of ownership?

I still have no real need but kind of want an e-bike. I’m told Rad Power and Aventon have gone downhill, especially for customer service. The Gazelle bikes are more expensive, but made in the Netherlands, Bosch battery and motor, really nice components. I appreciate the battery integrated into the down tube, keeps it really sleek. The bike below is probably my sweet spot, for $400 more you can get a bit more motor on a class 3 bike but 20mph is all I’ll ever need.

So far, so good. Haven’t put many miles on it this summer as it’s been freaking hot. I’ll log more miles soon now that it’s cooling off.

While my bike can go up to 28mph, it ships with a 20mph max setting that you can change. I’ve left it at 20mph. Like you said, that’s plenty fast.

1 Like

I’ve been riding my Specialized Vado to work a bit and it’s really nice to bump it up to 28mph on one stretch with traffic. Keeps me closer to the speed of the cars (they probably go 40ish there)