Driving, Licensing, and Other Things That Are Bothersome About Using a Vehicle

Interesting. I knew they used to have the stickers, but it’s been a while since I lived in Pensy.

I find police to mainly use traffic laws as an excuse to snoop around or check for drunk driving.

1 Like

Same. When I was young and couldn’t afford such things, I got a very expensive ticket for going 82 in a 75. I was incredulous: that’s not even 10% over the speed limit!

When I was driving in Utah a few years back the speed limit was 80 mph and they had signs everywhere warning “strictly enforced” which I certainly heeded.

I am NY

I always thought Tag was slang for the plate itself

2 Likes

In AL, plates for renew in calendar month based on registrant’s last name to spread out in the year. If you buy a car in a month other than your registration month you pay a fractional year’s worth, and pay full year at next registration. Corporate owned vehicles renew in Nov? Each county runs their own offices, so I don’t know for sure that all counties have online payment options (mine does). Every couple of years the letter/number order of the non-personalized plate gets shuffled. County number still comes first, but a generic plate used to be CO LLLNNN might now have the pattern CO LNLLNN. I am not sure if it was an approach to avoid running out of combinations or to be able to tell if the plate hasn’t been renewed without looking at the sticker. We used to have stickers that had different colors for different years, but I think the year sticker is the same color year to year.

DL can be renewed online every other time, so I could possibly go 8 years without going to a DMV/Registration office.

Nope, it was early on a Saturday. I figured he was bored.

I didn’t get a ticket, but it was just annoying. I thought I might be close to one of those little towns and I had missed a sign but nope.

So I pretty much go the speed limit, bc the next guy might actually give me the ticket.

Connecticut did away with plate stickers years ago. We did window stickers for a couple of years, but those have been eliminated as well. Generally no vehicle inspections in the state, aside from emissions every couple of years.

If you want to know whether a plate/registration is currently valid, the CT DMV has a web page to query from. State and some local police have plate-readers in their vehicles that can check as well.