Driving, Licensing, and Other Things That Are Bothersome About Using a Vehicle

But if the tolerance is +/- 3, do you get a ticket for 8 mph over, or 5?

They can give you a ticket for 4 mph over. Whether they will varies by jurisdiction.

License Plates expire?

My registration is annual, based on the date I bought the car on which I first used the plates
My drivers license is my birthday (changed so the whole world doesn’t have to go to the DMV the same date)

Well if you don’t get the little sticker with the new year on it showing your registration is current and affix it to the license plate, then yes.

Legally anything over the speed limit is not allowed

Logically, driving at a vastly different speed than the rest of the traffic is more dangerous even if above the speed limit.

Driving slower than the rest of traffic while staying in the left is obnoxious.

1 Like

NY, that goes on the windshield

but the sticker expires, not the plate

Yeah, that’s how it was in Oregon. My driver’s license expired on my birthday but the registration was on the car’s birthday.

Gotta say, it’s easier to just get it all taken care of at once. Especially if you need an inspection of any kind.

That’s weird. In NJ, our plates don’t expire. We do have to renew the car registrations every year, but they expire after the end of the applicable month. So if your registration expires Nov 2022, the last day you can go until you are no longer compliant is Nov 30. We do not have stickers on the plates. We do also have inspection stickers on the windshields that show the month/year the inspection results expire.

On some roads, there is a MINIMUM speed limit,

You don’t have anything you put on the plate with the date on it?

I’ve seen vehicle inspection stickers that go in the windshield, which varies by state. But everywhere I’ve registered a car there was a sticker on the back license plate with the year and month it expired. Or sometimes two stickers: one with the year and one with the month.

nope.

and not even the car’s birthday, it was from three cars before, I reused the plates.

Inspection is annual, which is based on the cars birthday
Registration is every other year

Interesting. I’ve lived in New York, but “my” car was in my Dad’s name the entire time as I financed it through him. So I never actually registered a car in New York and I guess it shows!

Probably 8 mph, rather than 50% of one for +5 mph and 50% of another for +11 mph.

In NJ, we can do all that on-line. About 2 months before expiration (DL or registration) we get something in the mail and can just go online and renew it. Then in a week you get your new stuff.

For inspections, which last 2 years (4 years for new autos), we either have to go to a private entity and pay for an inspection, or go to a select DMV and they inspect for free. Since they scaled back the number of things they inspect and that they now do it every two years, the line at the DMV is less than 10 mins even at the end of the month.

We don’t have plate stickers (some people call them “tags” and it bugs me).

The cops have plate scanners that pop up with a big read screen when someone is in violation. My wife got pulled over a couple years ago for expired registration. Normally, they are supposed to tow the car until you provide proof you re-registered. But we were like 5 miles from home and the guy was like “Just get home in one piece and don’t drive until you get it re-registered!”

@PatientZombie are you in NJ, too? For some reason I thought you were a NYer.

Not in PA either. We used to have stickers for the plate, but no longer. Inspection sticker on windshield. Your car must be registered to get the inspection sticker, and inspection is annual.

I’ve been pulled over for 7 over. On a highway.

That blows. Slow day for that cop, I guess.

Were there other cars around? Near me, on the highways, you’d need to be going faster than the flow of traffic to get a citation. If everyone is driving 65 in 1 55, then I’d be surprised if anyone got a ticket for doing 65.

Any chance we could get this discussion pulled into another thread @Vorian_Atreides?

1 Like