Do you own a dvd player?

Watched “The Scorch Trials” last night on a DVD I borrowed from the library. We do this occasionally for movies I (or someone else in my family) would like to watch but is unavailable on streaming (Netflix, Amazon Prime, Hulu).

Do you count the DVD player in my van? That’s a second device and means I could double-vote on your poll.

Only time I could get a VHS is the little lending libraries, people occasionally put them in there

I still own some VHS movies. :woman_shrugging:

At first I couldn’t remember but then I remembered that we have an old one in the bedroom. I used it when I was recovering from illness and decided to finally watch our old box sets of West Wing. I don’t think I ever finished…

that is how I watched West Wing

We have ours so my children’s parents can nostalgically put on 25 year old movies that aren’t nearly as good as remembered :laughing:

2 Likes

We had a nice VHS/DVD combo until the kids broke it. I went to replace it and it was some crazy amount (>$100). So I said nope and we just have DVD players. We have one by each TV in our house, but we hardly ever use them.

We watch most DVD’s via one of the game systems? I think it’s an Xbox? We have a PS4 but it’s in the kid’s room.

I have an old Xbox360 but it’s not hooked up. Other than that no DVD player. I voted no because if I wanted to watch a DVD in the next 10 minutes I wouldn’t be able to. Even our computers don’t have disk drives anymore.

So, there are no movies from years ago you haven’t seen that you want to watch?

I’ve been trying to find Magnificent Ambersons on DvD somewhere, as we do not subscribe to Prime or YouTube.

Netflix disc?

Maybe. I didn’t even know Netflix still mailed discs. Years ago when I commuted on the train I used it all the time. Half the movie on the way to work, half the movie *with a beer or two :wink: ) on the way home.

we have a PS-N whatever or two. they are the last DVD players we own

Years ago I ripped all our old DVDs and put them on a hard drive, which is now hooked to a Raspberry Pi running OSMC for a media player. I still get DVDs from the library and am still in the habit of ripping them so I don’t need to watch right away. I only have Netflix (and the free stuff) for streaming and, more often than not, what I want to watch isn’t on Netflix currently.

As far as old tech…

I have a working cassette player, although it is new this year.

I have a HP 28S calculator that I bought new in the late 1980’s. It was one of the first programmable, graphing calculators on the market. Honestly, I never took to it (RPN), and once I graduated college then spreadsheets became my home for most calculations.

I have a standard Pickett slide rule somewhere. It was mine, as in it was bought new for me when I was about 11. Not a hand me down.

I have some old Polaroid cameras that have been in the family for 50+ years. Those were hand me downs. I don’t know what to do with them. You cannot buy film for them.

I voted no, but realized the Playstation could actually play DVDs. We own like a dozen, think we pulled one out last Halloween for the nostalgia. Our watching is split about equally between Netflix, Hulu, YouTube, and Dropout.tv. A bit of Amazon Prime in there on occasion, or Crunchyroll. Oh yeah, Disney+ about 1 hour/week.

We have several radios capable of playing cassettes, and I still have my Nakamichi Dragon tape deck somewhere. And a Walkman that still works.

I have a reel-to-reel tape deck I used for a party tape in college. Same with a hi-fi Beta player.

I probably still have my 28-S somewhere. And a slide rule. My math tutor gave me one back in like 5th grade.

Have my original Commodore 64 in the basement, too.

Not to mention plenty of gaming consoles.

I own one, but haven’t used it in years and wonder if it still works.

While we’re on the subject of old tech, I also have a record player. Bought it about 3 years ago after my daughter bought me a record! Really sweet present, she was in the used book store with friends and saw an album by George Winston, who she knows I love, so she bought it for me. So I bought myself a record player. I now have a collection of around 5 albums, and I listen to one every three or four months or so.

1 Like

Nakamichi Dragon? That’s hot.