Dishwasher recommendations

Which means I will end up doing a lot more dishes by hand, using way more water…

That’s really a false economy. Maybe it works for people who are more organized than we are, but it doesn’t work well for us.

I get that during a party it’s a nuisance, but day to day, are you really burning through that many dishes, like you’re doing multiple loads a day?

No, but we may look at the dishwasher in the afternoon and say, “we ought to run that before supper”. If it’s not finished before supper, that’s a problem.

Thus, I can see how it works for more organized people.

Or for less organized people like me. If I run the dishwasher and there are dirty dishes that didn’t fit, well, that’s a problem for future me.

5 Likes

Same. Everything must be in the dishwasher or handwashed and put away. Ain’t nobody got time for a reload.

But I’m single (well not single, but live alone)

2 Likes

Unwashed dishes in the sink aren’t a problem. Not enough bowls for supper is the problem. And that’s why the longer the load takes, the more likely i am to be doing dishes by hand.

Does no one else run out of dinner knives, or soup bowls, or…

That would be annoying. With you on that.

We have three people, and eight each of bowls, small/large plates, forks, etc. I do dishes at night, so even if we have a party or whatever, I will run it at night and then we will at least have enough clean for the next day. Basically.

Bosch has a 30 minute speed wash cycle on it, if you don’t want to wait the 2:30 hours. I just do dishes after dinner and run it then unload in the morning.

The dishwasher is usually full before we start to run out of things. Unless we forget to start it after the meal that filled it up, we are usually ok. The run time doesn’t bother me.

I skip the dry cycle. Most glass and utensils air dry quickly, it is just the plastics that don’t, and melt if they are too close to the heat, so it seems kinda pointless.

We also have three people, and 8 each of most things. But a few of the bowls have broken, and we might use bowls for breakfast cereal, and maybe someone had ramen for lunch, and maybe we have soup with supper. And I use the small forks for lunch, but we only have one set of knives, so we often run out of those, and the dishwasher may not be very full, but then I start thinking about supper and we don’t have enough bowls or something. I do try to think about it after lunch…

Back when the dishwasher took 45 minutes, that was never a problem. I can’t imagine a cycle of 150 minutes. If I started it after breakfast it wouldn’t be done in time for my husband’s lunch.

I tend to run out of cutlery first, then coffee mugs. Those are my hints to run the dishwasher!

We usually hand wash the roasting pans and stock pots. I find that the dishwasher doesn’t handle the baked on stuff well.

Sounds like you either need a fast dishwasher, or some more bowls and knives!

Speaking of, I’d like to have some more dish-shaped bowls for cereal and soup. Need to see what Fiesta offers these days.

I actually bought more bowls, but the new ones aren’t as nice. I guess I’m picky about bowls.

Does that spill over to being picky about bowling?

1 Like

I was going to say that’s a weird quirk, then I realized that I have basically the same corelle set that my parents had, and that I remember my grandparents having, (the colors have evolved but shapes the same) and I can’t look at anything else as being usable.

I like impractical pasta bowls. The larger the rim the better. No homo

Make sure you get one with the silverware tray that slides out at the top. Game changer.

I used to sometimes use the corelle, but we have a tile floor, and after the second one was dropped and exploded into three thousand razor-sharp shards across the entire kitchen, I’ve stopped using that set.

I hate the tile floor, but haven’t bothered to change it. As a floor, it’s very low maintenance.

I have tile as well, and I am thinking anything ceramic or glass that hits the floor is going to be obliterated, but corelle does seem quite explosive.

Switching from laminate to quartz countertops required an adjustment in handling things as well.

I very rarely use knives. Maybe to spread a pb and j sandwich. One or two to chop up things for dinner. Do you eat a lot of red meat or something?