Dishwasher recommendations

To be honest I mostly care about it cleaning super well, do you have a view on if Bosch is better in that regard or that’s something generally well delivered regardless?

Just bought a Bosch this summer. My main criteria was noise level TBH. It does a good job and is very quite. When we first got it, I had to put my ear pretty close to hear if it was running or not. Now with my hearing aids I can tell if it is running without being next to it but I don’t need to turn the volume up on the TV while it is running.

Most models are pretty quiet these days, especially if you get one with a stainless steel tub.

Just talked to a repairman - he has a warehouse with appliances so he said he’d reach out to me to see what’s in stock. Despite the apparent conflict of interest of a repairman selling machines I think it’s a good way to go, since I’d be supporting local business and these guys have a stellar reputation in town.

You’d think so, but I’ve talked to a few repairmen and I think they’ve been pretty straight with me about which machines to buy and which to avoid.

Haven’t really looked into that side, they’ve all done good enough for me, but I pre rinse things so can’t really say.

All dish washers I’ve used worked the same. Not sure what makes a “good” dishwasher.

Reading product reviews, seems that the “good” ones allow for efficient use of space, clean your dishes well and you don’t have to towel dry the stuff when it’s finished. Energy efficient models are nice to have.

Personally glad that this one broke down - it wasn’t doing a great job of cleaning or drying. The only reason I even had it was that it came with the house and it was covered under my home warranty when it broke down soon after I bought the house 3 years ago.

Interesting. My observation is that dishwashers went downhill when they started conserving water. The cycle is much longer and they don’t work as well. But maybe it’s like low-flow toilets, and they’ve finally figured it out and have ones that work.

Things I look for in a dishwasher:

• Washes dishes (per consumer reports and other review
  • Cycle time
  • Noise
  • Easy to load/holds lots of stuff
  • Doesn’t have a filter that needs regular maintenance. (I guess some grind chunks, like a disposal? Anyway, we got one that was highly rated but needed regular cleaning, which my husband promised to do. He didn’t, it stank, and it was just a nuisance overall.)

That’s pretty much it. I don’t like the modern style of hiding the controls – I’d rather see at a glance whether it’s clean or dirty, what cycle was set, etc. But I don’t care enough to buy based on that. I’m surprised by whoever said they would have had to pay more to see how much time remains, that used to be standard on cheap models. But none of that is worth picking a dishwasher over. I’ve had ones that allowed a delay but we never used that feature. We do sometimes use the “sanitize” feature.

What I thought I just saw:

2 Likes

I have a Bosch and like it. Would recommend. Quiet and seems to wash well, though I also pre rinse dishes. Dries fine, though my in laws use a lot of plastics and it leaves some moisture on those, so ymmv if you use lots of Tupperware

Cycle time is longer than the 15yo it replaced, from 90 minutes to about 150 minutes. It has a fast cycle, which would probably clean the dishes better than my old dying DW, but I have never tried it. I will say I have stopped rinsing much of anything before it goes in, other than tomato based stuff that I think is hard on seals and gaskets.

holy shit, we used to have a dishwasher with a cycle time of about 45 minutes. We often run the dishwasher multiple times when we have a party, so a cycle time of 150 minutes would be a non-starter for me. Unless they are all that bad, now.

They’re all bad, but a lot have a quick cycle option (that uses more water)

Anyone have a view on whether it’s worthwhile to subscribe (and listen to) to Consumer Reports?

I’m not an expert here, is the longer cycle time due to drying? Maybe older models used a ton of heat (and therefore energy) and newer models rely on drying more slowly at lower temps.

My DW has a short cycle, maybe just a rinse? Can’t recall. My ‘normal’ cycle takes 110 minutes but we average about 5-6 loads per week so it’s fine.

I think the wash is also longer by default to use less water & detergent.

1 Like

I had a subscription to the magazine for a long time. It was always useful to have when you needed it, but otherwise didn’t seem worth it. They’re constantly whining about how they only get money from subscribers and don’t accept ads & they focus on products that, imo, aren’t necessary for them to worry about (e.g., mutual funds).

Your library has a subscription. The automobile-issue, their most popular issue, it probably behind the counter, so you’ll need to ask Marion for it.

What a good idea… Thanks!

1 Like

yeah, it seems that they have all moved on to higher efficiency (less water use) as part of the “greening” of the industry. They are all mostly longer pretty long run times but use less water