Did corporal punishment make sense when it was popular?

:+1: That makes more sense.

I would totally not want to get caned in Singapore. I saw a video once and the guyā€™s ass looked like ground beef after two strikes.

sounds like discipline works

I wonder if respecting other peopleā€™s belongings, like not touching their stuff resolves on its own. If you keep doing that, everyone will kind of just hate you and youā€™ll have no friends. I think most kids eventually figure it out.

if they survive long enough till

pretty sure the death penalty has been proven not to work to dissuade people from crime. somehow caning does?

I mean, have you been to Singapore? Death is not scary. Pain is.

fair enough

Also, there are a bunch of studies showing that the speed and certainty of punishment matter more to deterrence than the severity of punishment. They are probably pretty quick to cane offenders, if I had to guess.

1 Like

They have the death penalty for smuggling drugs, it doesnā€™t seem to stop people from doing it though. The people they catch tend to be in extremely desperate situations and are willing to risk it. There was a notable case where an Australian was caught and executed, he did it because he and his brother was in debt, which I guess was the kind that would get you killed if you didnā€™t pay it back.

Few rules. Clear rules. Clear related consequences (punishment). Quick follow through. Positive reinforcement of alternative behavior.

yeah. ngl, iā€™d probably avoid going to Singapore at all because iā€™d be afraid someone would cane me for something I didnā€™t realize was against the law or they just decided I did when I didnā€™t.

When I went there, there was ample warning about drug trafficking before takeoff and also before deplaning and also at customs. I must have been reminded at least ten times I was going to die if I had drugs on me.

Iirc there is a loop at Changi Airport that continually reminds people of it. Thereā€™s also a kickass mall and a crazy ass garden with a waterfall in it or something.

Other than that Singapore was real nice, and clean. Worth visiting for a few days imo.

Unless you have the drugz

Imo

A guy from my church moved there for work and loved it. He made a 4 year commitment and extended for another 4 years.

Just visit, why not live there? Would it benefit the US or Canada to adopt the Singapore form of government?

I think certain practices would help such as high pay for public workers including officials would help a lot towards getting more competent leadership.

But people choose their government and weā€™ve decided our system is the best for us. The Singaporeans decided their system is the best for them.

has he gotten caned yet?

Nothing worse than corporal punishment by major asshole.

1 Like

Do they still cane you for chewing gum in Singapore? Iā€™ll pass on naked authoritarianism thanks.

1 Like

I think you have to do something pretty bad to get caned