DGAF Friday

anyone feeling a little Friday-ish already today?

1 Like

Yeah, this week is a gradual loss of coworkers to PTO, and by the end I shall be lost as well

Today is my Monday and also my Thursday, happy day, zero motivation. Watching bad Christmas movies in bed and ā€œcatching up on emailsā€ and contemplating a nap.

Company wide winter break (Christmas through New Years) is a nice new perk that Iā€™m looking forward to enjoying.

Fun fact: The company recently made the executive decision to get rid of the winter break & give us more holidays throughout the year. Execs inadvertently disclosed this information through an unannounced posting of the 2021 holiday schedule - employees subsequently LOST THEIR FREAKING MINDS in the comments section. Was very :popcorn:

The decision was reversed by the following workday.

I miss those head office emails that would get recalled. Some very juicy stuff.

One was a corner office actuary asking if he could donate $50 per year to the company sponsored charity, but could hr take it off $2 per pay period. Cheap ass mofo. Long after I left, I go to pull into my clearly signed office space and guess whose in my spot while he goes to eat At a restaurant.

Second best was a VP email spewing sunshine up our backside. But they left in all the revisions where the c suite discussed how to phrase it so staff wouldnā€™t get bent out of shape. VP would like to recall the email? No, I donā€™t think so lol.

This thing was hilariously bad, since the message they tacked onto the updated calendar was something like ā€œWe heard you employees wanted to be able to choose which holidays you get to celebrate, so obviously you should be entirely pleased to hear we took away the winter break and gave you Presidentā€™s Day off!!ā€

Every single people manager in the company was livid that they didnā€™t get a heads-up and their staff were up in arms at their office doors.

Iā€™m pretty sure this was my first week working there.

For me this is DGNAF rest of December. Starting tomorrow Iā€™ll be working half days the rest of the year, since I have to take the time but donā€™t want to go anywhere. I have 5 carryover days that I have to take by end of April - no idea what Iā€™ll be doing with them since I probably wonā€™t be vaccinated by then but have plenty of time to figure it out.

The only vacation we took this year was to the mountains - not a whole lot of people to deal with out there!

Wife and I did a few beach trips, not the best for social distancing but at least it was all outdoors. Probably wonā€™t be warm enough to swim in the ocean this spring but if the cost is low enough might be worth it just to get away.

:iatp: we ended up going down the Jersey shore twice which was nice. Honestly just hanging out by the pool was a nice change of pace.

I dont have anything this juicy butā€¦

at last company we switched our HSA bank one year. huge PITA for everyone to transfer funds to the new bank and set everything up. For some people it took months to get the new bank setup.

Then the next yearā€¦ they switched us back to the original bank. But the first bank had dropped all the accounts of the people that just left. So it amounted to weeks/months more effort for people to move accounts again.

First time we stayed in a hotel, made us nervous every time we used the elevator. We had a much better experience with vrbo condos after that - had the nice getaway experience we were looking for and didnā€™t feel like we needed to hang out at the beach. Too bad my wife isnā€™t into hiking - that would be a great getaway in the spring. I might do something like that on my own for a couple days, or perhaps we can just enjoy a mountain getaway and I can do my own hike for a few hours.

Iā€™d love to do something like that, although Iā€™ve got little kids so hiking would be a bit tricky. Maybe in a few yearsā€¦

The accounting guy explained the $7,000,000 to me (yay), but now I gotta figure out where it goes in the accounting system. :thinking:

Gonna do a bit more work today and tomorrow, but then Iā€™m shutting off my brain for Christmas.

first few times in the elevator I was also like ā€˜o shit, enclosed spaceā€™. then after a while I just accepted the risk and didnt sweat it.

I may get shamed off the forum if I actually admit some of the things ive done this yearā€¦

Iā€™m living in a glass house here so I wonā€™t shame you. Most days we stay home, but every now and then we take a risk and hope for the best. Just this past Sunday we went to a friendā€™s wedding at his house, there were 15-20 people there and was all indoors. For the most part I trust that people were safe, especially since there were old people around, but a bit nervous about a friend of the groom who flew in for the ceremony. Been taking some zinc lozenges the past couple days.

Looks like weā€™ve found the superspreader!
:judge:

Yep, Typhoid Fleeble

How was the wedding though? I do sympathize for people getting married now, must stink to not have more people there for the day.

the no-shame corner of the internet. nice.

(I also went to a wedding this year, they did not hold back on the guest list. 100+)

biggest hassle for them was finding a venue that would allow it.