DGAF Friday

20 minute nap, here I come!!! :sleeping:

Half my group is out and we’re not particularly busy, together makes it particularly hard to GAF

Ibuprofin is great for DEFCON 4-5 - anything more than that needs something stronger like Aleve or cocaine

Of all the crap I had to study for actuarial exams, accounting was the worst. So many obscure details and it’s not like I remembered a whole lot of them after I was finished. But I know people who really enjoy the subject - there’s no accounting for taste…

Illegal drugs!

Fyi Aleve is illegal in Canada. But my mom can hook u up with some.

Illegal, or by prescription?

Let’s just say she’s gotten into the import export business.

Nope, no Fs left to G this week. Don’t have anything urgent on my to do list, might take a long lunch to ride the bike if it’s not terribly humid.

I’m here today also. Got through most of next week’s to-do list, might just take a nap this afternoon.

1 Like

My tank of Fs ran to zero after a late night wed this week… I actually had a DGAF-Thurs because of it.

So now I actually have to work today.

One of the best things about WFH for everyone I think is the fact that it’s so much more results oriented. If I do all my **** no one should really care if I really do take a nap (assuming my calendar is blocked off). At the office it’s this childish game of “looking busy”.

2 Likes

glad I’m not the only one that thinks this is a weird game. I have an office now, but I spent 10 years doing that.

I have noticed the younger generation seems to just do whatever at work. I dont hate the trend of seeing people watching sports and shopping as I walk around.

I mean there is an element of having downtime and R&D opportunities and that kind of thing. But if I do work quickly and effectively and then take a long lunch versus doing work slowly while chatting people up on GoA and the same work is done in the same amount of time then really my boss should be indifferent.

Pre pandemic the former wasn’t so clearly an option.

have you worked in billable hour consulting? There is an enormous amount of pressure to ‘always be billing’.

Carrier side is pretty relaxed. Consulting side is downright oppressive ime.

I am a fast worker and had to force myself to slow down a bit when I worked in consulting. Not because I was trying to milk my clients, but because my billable hours goal didn’t care if it takes me 20 minutes to do something, or an hour. If everyone else does it in an hour, why shouldn’t I? Working faster might get me more work, but it will also find me burnt out (and, it did).

Also, there were certainly times early in my consulting career where I didn’t have enough work to do, so I shot myself in the foot.

I work in consulting now, although we do project work so it’s more like “x days on y project” rather than billing hours, so the client just pays a fee negotiated up front for the work product. Although we do track hours for allocation/profitability/etc reporting purposes.

That said, I do kind of miss the carrier side for a few reasons.

The one F I had to give was before I got out of bed.

4 Likes

Tracking my time is the ONLY real reason I will never go back to consulting. If I could do the work without all the business hygiene, I would.

Sometimes I get a bit jaded that consulting is a bit more cranking out the projects, rather than really digging into insights to improve the results. In insurance the analytics are a big part of how companies compete, while the incentives are a bit different for consulting.

1 Like