DeSantis is a Fascist

If the concern is that it’s being unequally applied then that seems possible. That said… I honestly don’t know what a non-drag equivalent would even be. I mean, I’ve been to strip clubs, and topless bars, but I’ve never seen a prosthetic female genitalia and I suspect that might possibly be pretty rare on the non-drag side of the entertainment spectrum.

However it probably surprises no one to learn that this is not really my preferred genre (drag or non-drag) and I am far from an expert. I further assume that even if it’s rare, it probably exists because it surely appeals to someone. It just might be hard to find a statistically significant number of examples of non-drag shows in Florida that involve prosthetic genitals.

There’s a sentence I never expected to type.

1 Like

Ok, if it’s not actually against any law then that’s obviously different and amounts to harassment.

This makes it seem like the show would be illegal even for adults unless I’m missing the word “minor” somewhere. If so, that seems a bit extreme.

Obligatory IANAL.

http://www.leg.state.fl.us/statutes/index.cfm?App_mode=Display_Statute&Search_String=&URL=0800-0899/0847/Sections/0847.011.html

They won’t kill the FL strip clubs, as that’s an attack on the base.

2 Likes

This one seems to be specifically about exposing minors to obscene material.

http://www.leg.state.fl.us/statutes/index.cfm?App_mode=Display_Statute&Search_String=&URL=0800-0899/0847/Sections/0847.013.html

Probably true. But do they allow minors in / go after clubs that do?

Potentially relevant portion from the second link (emphasis mine):

Seems like they were in violation. How strictly this is enforced on non-drag shows I have no idea.

See below: there is an exception if they are with their parents.

Sounds like they need to let kids in for free.

5 Likes

Perhaps!

But actually, I take back my violation comment. Because just a bit further down it says:

So I guess they were in compliance, assuming that the kids in attendance truly were with at least one parent.

Most things here aren’t applicable. I’'m guessing the DeSantis attorney’s don’t want to test the sexual excitement part because they don’t want to ban teens from PG13 movies. R movies would almost always be NC17 if interpreted literally, and most PG13 and some PG movies. There’s probably someone that gets off on Finding Nemo, so ban that too.

The only minors admitted to the mentioned drag show are with parental approval and accompaniment to the shows in question. Otherwise adults only. Other shows have been banned just for being drag shows with no mention of minors, again due solely to referencing the old supreme court precedent.

The question you should be asking yourself is why drag shows were widely permitted in FL until the last few months. Throw R rated movies and bikinis on the list too if it suits your sensibilities.

ETA: I see you changed your opinion

1 Like

So I’m not sure what law DeSantis’ press secretary claims they were violating.

The first one I cited seems incredibly broad and not specific to kids and doesn’t seem to be enforced, at all. And the second one I cited has a specific exception for kids with at least one parent. So… I don’t know.

The old SC precedent that they specifically cited in court filings

Yeah, there seems to be a disconnect then because that doesn’t say anything specifically about kids (that I can tell, anyway, but I’m not really familiar with the case) whereas they’re saying that it’s a violation of Florida law to admit kids to a lewd show… which doesn’t seem to relate to the SCOF case.

If the press secretary is making up nonexistent laws then obviously that’s not ok.

You always believe everything you read from obscire websites?

Florida’s Voice is a patriotic news network that you can trust to deliver the truth with no hidden agenda. Founder and Editor in Chief Brendon Leslie left his job in mainstream news to practice journalism as it should be, unbiased and unbossed.

I fail to see how any of that is NC-17

Sounds like the plot of Big Mama’s House

2 Likes

Forcibly penetrating fake breasts on the audience?

It is my contention that has never occurred. I want pictures.

Its like ChatGPT wrote this

2 Likes

You can find hour long clips of “drag queen Christmas” on YouTube. They may or may not be the same show/ production, but i think it’s worth skipping through a few to get a sense of what such a show might display rather than throw out made up explicit content ratings in ignorance.

A few observations:

1. There are plenty of skimpy outfits that are more modest than you would find on women in many public situations or shows.
  2. there are costumes where someone is dressed up to represent a body part in a cartoonish way
  3. two of the videos that i suspect are related to the story earlier had a segment “tits in a box” which is a parody of a Justin Timberlake SNL skit.

None of this was sexually explicit in a way that would deserve an NC17 rating. It seemed on par with a comedy show featuring sexual content or themes. R rated for sure, but nothing that should result in revoking a hotels liquor license.

2 Likes

Desantis goal is to shut down this type of show in Florida. It does not conform to republican ideas and values. It has nothing to do with the actual content of the show, and as demonstrated in this thread, someone who shares “traditional values” will be unlikely to do anything to judge this on their own, so he scores points with the base and gets in the news cycle for a day or two.

In other words, typical republican bullshit.

4 Likes

Is Florida trying to ban The Birdcage!?!?

4 Likes