Denis Villeneuve's Dune (2021)

This reviewer seems to have liked Dune: Part Two. Has whetted my appetite even further to get out to see it in a theatre.

Heard rave reviews from a couple of people. I will try to check it out soon.

1 Like

Entertaining interview with Villeneuve and Chalamet. Hard not to like this pair. Some good insights on Frank Herbert’s intentions.

1 Like

IIRC, they’re not bad. You get to stay in the universe and learn more about sandworms, psychic powers, and schemes within schemes to overthrow the galaxy. Politics, culture, philosophy, a little action.

The problem is that they’re slower, and less loaded with cool punchy new ideas. Which gives you some time to start thinking maybe it’s not actually that cool and that mindblowing after-all.

There’s still some good scenes and interesting thoughts, but enough pages in-between them that you think you could be doing something else.

Could have put this in “Today I learned”, but I thought it would be better here.

Today I learned that we almost had another Dune movie in the late 70’s. Jodorowsky was the director, and it was going to be an over the top spectacle. 12-14 hour movie length. The Cast included Salvador Dalí, Orson Welles, Gloria Swanson, David Carradine, Mick Jagger,… Dali would play the Emperor, and demanded the highest pay ever at $100k/hour. Music by Pink Floyd and Magma. HR Geiger part of set design.

The extensive work done prepping for the movie influenced subsequent scifi movies including Star Wars, Alien, and the Terminator.

There is a documentary about this attempt. I might have to check it out.

2 Likes

seen it

Saw it this afternoon and enjoyed it. There has to be a Dune Messiah movie.

1 Like

Except I think it’ll be called “Dune 3” and just tie up the loose ends of Herbert’s original story arc.

Children of Dune starts the larger story arc of the Dune universe (and ties back to why the Butlerian Jihad was fought in the first place). Nothing in the current two movies show any form of “interest” in pursuing this larger story line.

1 Like

I also expect it will be called Dune Part 3 rather than Dune Messiah. Unfortunately it will be a few years away from showing up in cinemas.