Democrats Say the Darndest Things!

To partially answer my own question: apparently he apologized to CNN staff a little more profusely, according to unnamed sources inside CNN. I still haven’t seen any other public apology besides the Tweet. Perhaps that will come on Monday when he was originally scheduled to be back on the air.

1 Like

Someone should tell Mayor Pete he’s very offbase and wrong about this comment. He should go visit an actual construction site and bring his color pallette with him.

The construction site next to me is fairly white, given I live in a black/hispanic neighborhood.

Admittedly, pointing that out wouldn’t be the first thing I say to them.

2 Likes

I agree, the only apology I’ve seen was lame and didn’t take full ownership of what he had said.

1 Like

Is the neighborhood relevant in the racial makeup of the construction workers though?

I wouldn’t expect the racial makeup of construction workers to be materially different in a predominantly white neighborhood vs a predominantly black neighborhood in the same city. It’ll be different for Portland, OR vs Washington, DC because the racial makeup of the metro areas of those two cities is very different. But from, say Georgetown to Shaw I wouldn’t expect much difference… it’s going to be the same construction companies serving both neighborhoods.

How does the racial makeup compare to the metropolitan area you’re in?

That’s a good point. My city is predominantly PoC. The county, white. If you assume a major construction job involves more traveling time, it would result in less diversity.

Agreed. Anything short of an apology directly to Nikki Haley and to middle aged women everywhere is basically “sorry, not sorry” in my ears.

He doesn’t have to praise Nikki Haley, mind you. But he should apologize to her… as distasteful as that may be to him.

I assumed everyone would have had Don Lemon on their bingo card for this thread…no?

I don’t do TV. Who are all the nincompoops to add to the list?

My wife works in construction, and her jobsites are always whiter than the surrounding communities. Her company is a hugely shitty company.

2 Likes

“We’re a court, we really don’t know about these things,” Kagan said. “These are not like the nine greatest experts on the internet.”

This made me lmao. Not really a self-own, just a funny (and wise) self-deprecating comment…

2 Likes

They played the audio on NPR and it got a good laugh.

This gave me a laugh just because it’s considered a darndest thing.

Ha! Stupid Democrats. Can you believe it? They’re self-deprecating!

1 Like

It doesn’t even seem to me to be all that self-deprecating. I read it as more of a nod to Dunning-Kruger, and an indication that the SCOTUS doesn’t suffer from it as much as most people.

3 Likes

It’s also just awkward that our country is largely governed by people who have never used a computer to do anything.

I would guess they are basic users (i.e., products of companies) of the internet, like you and me, and don’t know how an internet company is run, like you and me.

Similar to having an iWatch but not knowing how it works, but that it does work is all you want out of it (for three years or so).

Wtf is an Iwatch.

(Old man shaking fist)

Anyway, I think it’s both. There’s the technical expertise that is impossible to explain to liberal arts majors. And there’s being a boomer with little free time.

Why would they do that when they have a staff to do it for them?

If you were ‘with it’ you’d know that they named it the Apple Watch, not the iWatch.

1 Like

i (sic) am not. i (sic) thought that was clear.

2 Likes