Daily Brain Puzzlers Calendar

11/13/2022 Watch Out

My watch loses 3 minutes every hour. I set my watch this morning at 9AM using an accurate clock. Now, the time on my watch reads 4:36PM. What is the correct time?

11/14/2022 Catching A Code

We’ve taken five common six-letter words, listed in alphabetical order, and disguised them using a random substitution cipher. We’ll tell you that Q stands for H, and K stands for P. Can you determine the words?

M Q L W X Y

Z G K J Q Y

Q G W V B F

W F V M B Z

X K Y Q L J
11/13...maybe

4:58 or 4:59 depending on how many seconds into the 37th minute the watch is…
Minutes behind is in {73+36/5760, 73+37/5760}

11/14

Summary

CHORUS
DEPTHS
HERNIA
RANCID
UPSHOT

1 Like
Summary

I think it’s 5:00 sharp

1 Like

Correct!

I thought that was a tough one to get started on - coming up with one of the P_H words. And it was extra hard that they used a plural on one of them.

Correct!

11/15/2022

Fit the pieces into the frame to form common, uncapitalized words reading across and down crossword-style. There no need to rotate the pieces: They’ll fit as shown, with each piece used exactly once.

11/16/2022 Match Play

The grid contains unburnt matches of different sizes. You may burn any amount of each match, or leave the match unburnt. You “burn” a match by shading segments from the head (here, I’ve made them arrowheads because it was a lot easier) toi the tail, without skipping segments. The numbers outside the grid indicate the number of burnt segments in the corresponding row or column. Can you shade the burnt segments to “match” the numbers?

11/16

Summary

1 Like

11/15

Summary

1 Like

11/15

Summary

1 Like

Correct and correct!

I thought the words in 11/15 were quite a bit harder than their typical puzzle.

Re: 11/15

Summary

Yes, a bit tougher. The key for me was that of the four vertical segments, three had to end a three-letter word. All four could but for _ G O, there was no possible A or E. That put that segment in the one vertical spot that was not a word end, and the rest flowed from there.

11/17/2022 Twisty Path

The answers to the clues form a chain of words, each answer overlapping the next by at least two letters, as HIPPO, POETRY, and TRYST do in HIPPOETRYST. The chain forms a twisty path through the grid starting in the upper-left corner and moving right, left, down, or up at each letter, but never diagonally. We’ve already entered the letters from the chain that don’t overlap. Can you fill in the rest to show the path.

Clues (in order): luau dance * boutonniere’s place * big-billed bird * heavy object on a boat * Little _____ Annie * perfectly behaved * draw forth * like slanted type * frozen spike * spotless

11/18/2022 It All Adds Up

Each letter from A through H has one of the eight values listed, and no two letters have the same value. Determine which number goes with each letter to make the equations true.

3  4  6 10
16 19 26 29

A + D = G
E + G = C
A + C = H
D + F = A
E + B = H

11/17

Summary

1 Like

Correct!

11/18

A = 10
B = 26
C = 19
D = 6
E = 3
F = 4
G = 16
H = 29

1 Like

Correct!

That one was a little weird. After not seeing easy algebra, I went the route of strictly eliminating possibilities, which always feels like cheating, somehow, when you’re given a set of equations.