COVID mortality

https://crr.bc.edu/working-papers/will-survivors-of-the-first-year-of-the-covid-19-pandemic-have-lower-mortality/

The paper found that:

• 10-year mortality rates, absent direct COVID deaths and long COVID, will likely be lower in 2021 than anticipated in 2019.
  • However, these differences are small, ranging from a decline of 0.4 percentage points for people in their 60s to 1 percentage point for those in their 90s.
  • The small difference is in spite of the fact that COVID mortality was, indeed, very selective, with mortality declines exceeding half the maximum possible declines, holding total COVID deaths constant, for every age group.

The policy implications of the findings are:

• That declines in mortality due to COVID selection likely will not impact overall population mortality substantially enough to affect Social Security cost projections.
  • Any impact of selection effects on Social Security costs will likely be swamped by ongoing mortality increases directly attributable to acute and long COVID.

Just a case of “That which does not kill me…”?
Or, basically that COVID simply killed people in 2020 instead of natural causes that would have killed them in 2021?

There seems to be some evidence, in that >100% of the increase in 2021 mortality compared to 2019 for those over age 85 is attributable to COVID…

…which I would interpret as… they would’ve died of something else, most likely.

It looks like heart disease, chronic lower respiratory disease, and Alzheimers are the “winners”

To be sure, that’s only a 35% overlap. It’s not like all the COVID deaths were “they would have died of something else in 2021 anyway”

Oh no, not everyone. Just a large enough group of people who died a year early to affect Mortality Rates as a whole. Maybe COVID, maybe COVID-adjacent (couldn’t get critical care because hospital was filled with COVID patients, etc.)
Just simple math. Numerators and Denominators changed, and not in the same ratio.

Yay, they fixed the bogus death spike problem

https://twitter.com/meepbobeep/status/1567913891413348352

2 Likes

NY Times has piece today about how Covid mortality had a greater than average mortality impact on native Amercans, who began with worse than average life expectancy compared to blacks, whites, hispanics, and asians.

Yes, that was in the CDC life expectancy report… but it wasn’t just COVID.

Hmmm, maybe I should do a split out by race/ethnicity, and I’ll use age-adjusted death rates by COD.

The queen may have died of long covid

“Based on what we know about COVID’s activity with regard to the heart and the vasculature, that means clotting, and I don’t know what variant of COVID she might have had, whether it was the Omicron or the Delta — and the Delta is still going around. That could have been the source of her demise,” said Lahita.

The bottom line
…
While a cause of death has not yet been released, experts say her previous infection with the coronavirus may have contributed to her death.

Or maybe she had a stroke or something else. Who knows.

She was 96. Lots of things can kill a 96-yr-old.

To extract from my blog post:

3 Likes

MEEP,

What is the life expectancy of a 73 year old, twice married monarch?

are you expecting his 2nd wife to murder him?

No, just wondering when his son can expect to succeed him.

But it was a serious question. I thinking like 12 - 14 year, right?

Well, I mean, being 96 is almost certainly the primary cause of death, whatever the proximate cause was. But it’s pretty common for people who’ve recovered from acute covid to have new heart/vascular problems, and a 96 year old doesn’t have a lot of resiliency if the heart or blood vessels are damaged.

https://www.nature.com/articles/d41586-022-02074-3

well, that makes my dad an “age 96” survivor

3 Likes

I mean, U.S. mortality isn’t UK mortality, but the Actuaries Longevity Illustrator isn’t a bad tool to get the range of possibilities:

https://www.longevityillustrator.org/

Using his bday and I assume “retirement” on his next bday in November:

median of 14 years more years, and we can also check out the percentiles…

Again, this is using U.S. mortality tables, projections, yadda yadda, but it gives you some reasonability ranges.

But keep in mind how long his parents lived. It’s not just that his mom lived to be 96, but his dad lived to be 99. So, he stands a good chance to make it to 100, I think.

also lives a pampered, yet active lifestyle. actually rather ideal

He’s also had Covid though, so that might result in a shorter life, right?

None of us have a clue.

I mean, if it actually caused him damage – heart damage, lung damage – maybe.

Sure, but I’m thinking that people with known Covid infections (unfortunately including me) would probably on average have worse mortality than people who don’t, all else equal.

Also it’s supposedly very stressful to be monarch*, so that combination of high stress job plus recovered from Covid might have an adverse impact on his mortality. I’d probably knock his health down from “excellent” to whatever is second-best. JMO, of course.

*The demands on your time are exorbitant, I believe. They say the stress of being king contributed to the early demise of Charles’ grandfather.

Plugging in average health, I get:

I wish they had more health categories though. He’s probably above average, even with the Covid and stressful job.