COVID mortality

There’s more chances for exposure in a city.

More actual exposure to actual Covid germs? I’m less sure about that.

Well, we know it was bio engineered by the Chinese, so it makes sense they’d make it less dangerous to Asians obv red…

woo, catching up with me from 2 months ago… but they’re doing it only through October. That’s academics and their speedy publication process for you.

1 Like

I suspect the increases in heart disease, liver disease, and diabetes that you see are also covid. Those are all systems that are commonly damaged by long covid.

1 Like

Could be – I didn’t break out the heart disease types, but I believe most of it was ischemic heart disease (aka heart attacks), and I think COVID-caused blood clots were causing ischemic heart attack deaths. If the COVID were not diagnosed, there ya go.

Or if the covid was diagnosed, but had “resolved”, just leaving arterial damage behind. I don’t think anyone is tracking “deaths among those who are believed to have long covid”.

1 Like

plus COVID impacting preventative measures, so essentially accelerating some of those expiration dates from future periods into more recent time frames.

I know there’s a term for this, but I can’t think of it right now. Something like the opposite of “pent-up demand” where you’re hindering the regular care that should be happening?

“COVID-Clogging”?

I’m putting this here, bc this dashboard exists due to COVID, but it’s not about COVID mortality

It’s about a fake spike in deaths in CT on this dashboard:

This is what somebody saw:

I started going down a rabbit hole… and then I realized the spike was spurious:

There has been no spike in deaths in CT in the summer. It was model-created.

1 Like

something more serious – trying to project short-term COVID mortality effects

age 80+ group

Well, i know of one more of each of these, deaths from long covid (not counted as covid) and deaths from delayed diagnosis due to the pandemic.

I caught up with an old friend this weekend. Her mother had a mild case of covid early in the pandemic. Shortly after, she was diagnosed with heart disease that killed her a few months later. She’d never had heart problems before. It was almost certainly covid damage to her heart.

The same friend also lost her sister to a random cancer that wasn’t diagnosed until too late because of the pandemic.

not sure why it took til now to release this

It’s period, not cohort, life expectancy, obviously

And yes, NY had the worst mortality experience in 2020 for the obvious reason: that’s where COVID came in, and then got spread around via mass transit. Most of the worst mortality came in that first wave in spring 2020.

I can make period life expectancy estimates based on the provisional 2021 data we’ve got now. Hmmm. Maybe this weekend.

I had a bit too much fun chiding the CDC over this

1 Like

Going to have to address what life expectancy means again

2 Likes

Get 'em, meep!

1 Like

here is the CDC report:

If they were going to mix up their standard approach to their annual update, the time would be now, because this breakout:

Is really not going to help people.

Blog post:

Video:

Twitter thread:
https://twitter.com/meepbobeep/status/1565314767992066048

Podcast: