COVID Exposure Question

Wife and I are both fully vaccinated. Kids under 13, not vaccinated.

Wife was out of town this weekend. Came back Sunday night, feeling fine. Very limited exposure to me, none to kids.

Monday kids are in school, limited exposure to any of us. Monday night starts to show symptoms that could have been allergies.

Tuesday morning symptoms worsen, including loss of smell. We begin total isolation. She gets a test. Tuesday she is definitely sick.

Wednesday symptoms improve, and all but dissipate.

Thursday, no symptoms. Test comes back - positive. Breakthrough case.

Me and the kids have had no symptoms. We all go get tested this morning. All negative.

Supposed to go to school today (kept them home). Practice tonight (I’m the coach). Games this weekend. Return to school Tuesday.

What does the CDC say we should do? What do you say?

CDC says wrap everyone in five layers of bubble wrap, lock them in your freezer in your basement, and imagine that everyone is going to die from papercuts and this is the worst thing ever because you and your family are the pinnacle of 400 million years of evolution so we must protect you at all costs.

I say, go about your life. Go to practice. Go to games. Go to school. Other people will get the sniffles. Big whoop.

4 Likes

Unvaccinated people should quarantine for 14 days after exposure.
Vaccinated people do not need to quarantine unless they test positive or show symptoms.

Exact quote from CDC:

Quarantine if you have been in close contact (within 6 feet of someone for a cumulative total of 15 minutes or more over a 24-hour period) with someone who has COVID-19, unless you have been fully vaccinated. People who are fully vaccinated do NOT need to quarantine after contact with someone who had COVID-19 unless they have symptoms. However, fully vaccinated people should get tested 3-5 days after their exposure, even if they don’t have symptoms and wear a mask indoors in public for 14 days following exposure or until their test result is negative.

3 Likes

This is what my cautious part-time employer says, too. My employer that requires everyone to be vaccinated and everyone except one person who is speaking to be masked, and the speaker must be 6 feet from all others.

Wear a mask if you will be indoors with other people (even if you are the instructor) and get tested after 3-5 days (maybe twice). After 5 days and a negative test assume you didn’t catch it.

That’s my read, too. Technically, I am free to do whatever. Technically the kids should be quarantining for at least 7-14 days. Assuming no symptoms and two negative tests, have seen as low as 7 days.

I want to argue that we were never really exposed. And no symptoms, negative test makes me want to be more liberal.

Let’s say I attend practice tonight (CDC says that would be fine). Should I say something to the parents?

I’d probably let them know.

1 Like

Get a second test, if negative, no worries, IMO.

First, wife should quarantine for 10 days away from everyone. The quarantine clock would then start ticking from the last exposure.

Since you are vaxxed, you are probably in the clear, but I would have stay away from wife and tested 3-5 days after last exposure to her. I would not go to practice tonight. I would test again before games this weekend. I would also let the parents know your situation and see if they have any reservations.

For kids their clock doesn’t start ticking until their last exposure. I assume your school has guidance around when they can go back. Ours is 7 days with a negative PCR test 3-5 days after exposure or 10 days with no test.

1 Like

Last exposure for any of us would have been Monday. And that was limited. We all got a test today.

Hello parents. So my wife has been sick for the last few days. We have all isolated from her since she showed symptoms. She received her test back this morning and it was positive for COVID (despite vaccination). Once she got her results, the rest of the family got tested (today). We are all negative and showing no symptoms.

Since I am vaccinated, have no symptoms and have a negative test, I was hoping to come to practice tonight (per CDC and county guidelines).

We are going to keep the kids at home tonight. We will test them again Saturday morning, and if negative again, I would like them to attend the game Saturday.

But I wouldn’t want to make anyone uncomfortable. Please text me separately. I am happy to adjust.

Are there other coaches? Or just you? Personally, I would not go to practice tonight to give it a couple more days.

Also, I would not send your kids to the game on Saturday. That is still w/in the 7 day range.

Youth sports organizations around here have been very good at communicating “when in doubt, stay home” to parents/players/coaches. I would not want to become known as the coach who caused a Covid event.

1 Like

That sounds fine. Is it outdoors? Can you wear a mask while you coach?

Just how fucking important are these sports??
I mean, I know it’s #Murica, but for fuck’s sake, stay the fuck home! It’s only one fucking week missed!!

“Typhoid AA,” that’s what I’m calling you from now on.

Before you get all butthurt: you did ask what I say.

1 Like

Yeah, you going to practice tonight is iffy, but allowed. I wouldn’t send the kids to the game this weekend. It’s hard to believe that the kids didn’t spend 15 minutes with their mother over the course of 24 hours.

ETA: I mean if they really and truly did not then I’ll retract my statement. But that seems unusual for kids too young to be vaccinated.

• Never eat sushi.
  • Always cook your meat well-done
  • Avoid raw eggs, such as in homemade Caesar salad dressing or egg nog, & never eat raw cookie dough
  • Men: Seldom drink alcoholic beverages, never more than 2/day; women: not a drop if capable of getting pregnant
  • Drink skim milk
2 Likes

We are all skipping practice tonight. Testing again Saturday morning and attending the game if all negative again and asymptomatic.

…and imagine how much healthier a place the US would be if Americans followed that guidance. :smiley:

1 Like

The guy leading the parent meeting at our basketball tryouts last weekend put it well in regards to Covid. Paraphrasing:

"If you or your kid is sick or has been exposed, please get tested and don’t come to practice or games until you’ve met the guidelines. These kids are 4th-8th graders. This isn’t Michael Jordan playing the ‘flu game’ in the NBA finals. Your kid missing a week or practice or one tournament doesn’t matter in the grand scheme of things.

And think of the other kids and their families please. If you send your sick or exposed kid and he ends up infecting other kids then that whole team is shut down for a week or two. And then those teammates that get infected might infect their brothers, sisters, moms, dads, grandmas, grandpas."

1 Like

Done.

Serious question: Are you taking a home test or going to a pharmacy/other Saturday morning for the test?
I am asking because I do not have a “go-to” place for quick test results. I have never taken a Covid test. Thanks