COVID Exposure Question

We have some independent labs that have opened up in strip malls that do rapid testing. GS Labs is the one closest to us, I think they are in a handful of states.

I would just google “Covid rapid test + your location”. Unless you live in the 'po, you will get a handful of places close to you.

CVS has some at home tests in stock now but will likely sell out quickly.

There is a rapid test location at the local mall. Made an appointment morning of, waited 10 minutes, got tested, got results in 30 minutes. But … $130 each…

Thank you people

Proud to say I think there are days when I’ve managed to break all of these in one day :laughing:

2 Likes

I didn’t look up all of these, but you’ve exaggerated the one on drinking.

The CDC actually says

No [you should not drink while pregnant]. There is no known safe level of alcohol use during pregnancy. Women who are pregnant or plan on becoming pregnant should refrain from drinking alcohol.17 Several conditions, including fetal alcohol spectrum disorders, have been linked to alcohol use during pregnancy. Women of childbearing age should also avoid binge drinking to reduce the risk of unintended pregnancy and potential exposure of a developing fetus to alcohol.

It also says elsewhere you shouldn’t drink if you are pregnant or might be pregnant. Most women of childbearing age have a decent idea of how likely it is that they are pregnant. “Might be pregnant” is a small subset of “capable of getting pregnant”.

Of course, I think their guidelines on drinking and pregnancy are ridiculous. While there’s no “known safe level” there’s also no evidence that small amounts of alcohol consumed while pregnant cause any harm, or make any difference at all. Before there were better drugs, alcohol was used to prevent premature labor, and that wasn’t associated with horrible outcomes or anything. (My mom was once in a ward with a bunch of women in IV alcohol.)

So… their actual guidelines have issues without exaggerating them.

I happen to think the CDC has been too slow to react to new info on Covid, and as a result has mostly published guidelines that are too lax, not too strict. :wink:

[Almost*] No one wants to do such a study. You’d have to give a group of pregnant women alcohol and then measure how screwed up their kids are down the road.

*But some outfit in the UK (maybe NHS, but I don’t recall) did exactly that: had a control group of pregnant women drink no alcohol and another group drink 1-2 drinks a week throughout their pregnancy.

The looked at the kids at birth, 1 year, 3 years, 5 years or something like that. Checked them for physical, academic, social differences… don’t recall all the details.

No observable differences between the control group and the drinking moms group.

They intended to continue to look at the kids at older ages too, but of course that requires waiting for the kids to age, and they published before the kids reached adulthood.

Only one study, and 1-2 drinks a week is a pretty modest quantity of alcohol. But it does suggest that small quantities during pregnancy are probably NBD and society needs to lighten up on telling women how to be pregnant.

3 Likes

Well duh.

But interesting that NHS is trying it anyway. I’ll have to look that up. Thanks.

There’s no “known safe level” of caffeine, either, for much the same reason. But based on observational studies most doctors tell their pregnant patients that modest caffeine consumption is okay. Honestly, there’s tons of observational data on alcohol, too, and it doesn’t support “must totally avoid”.

I think there is a big chuck of “society” that views women primarily as vessels to hold babies. And that segment of society is very invested in telling women what to do when pregnant.

I think that while very few would describe it that way, there is a conditioning in the USA that it is absolutely evil for a pregnant woman to have even a drop of alcohol.

If the pregnant woman subsists solely on Cheetos and Yoohoo and watches TV all day long and gains 100 pounds then she’s doing her best.

But if she’s taking all her prenatal vitamins and eating her extra calories in the form of vegetables in addition to perfectly balanced meals and getting appropriate quantities of sleep and exercise and tries a sip of her husband’s wine when they go out to dinner… she is the worst mom in the universe who obviously hates her baby and actively wishes for bad things to happen to it.

Which is, of course, absurd.

But that’s what I’ve anecdotally witnessed. :woman_shrugging:

It’s no surprise that this study was done in the UK, not US. They’re much less uptight about alcohol over there.

3 Likes

Having grown up in LDS families that avoided caffeinated beverages* my wife and I also avoided them early in our marriage. In college she would have the occasional Dr. Pepper and I the occasional Mtn Dew but we weren’t big caffeine drinkers. But when my wife was pregnant she had sever morning sickness and the only thing she could keep down when the sickness was at its worse was Dr Pepper. She told this to her Ob because he had specifically mentioned avoiding caffeine. He said if that is all you can keep down, better than than being hospitalized for dehydration.

*my family was more of a “do as I say not as I do” family since both of my parents drank coffee regularly.

My OB must have been unusually chill. She asked me how much alcohol and caffeine i normal consumed, and said she thought it would be okay to continue with both of those at my then-current rates. She gave some rough guidelines of levels to avoid, which were well above my norm.

I got similar advise from my dad. He was a liver doctor and had a lot of patients who damaged their bodies with alcohol. He said that fetal alcohol syndrome is typically associated with people who have been alcoholics for years. It’s not caused by an occasional drink. There is some evidence that heavy drinking during pregnancy causes subtler problems. But no evidence that light drinking does.

I did get a lot of flack at public events which featured drinking. I typically had a mixed drink (half ginger ale, half cranberry juice, over ice, with a twist of lime) and when people asked what i was drinking, i said it wasn’t their business. That’s what i usually drink when I’m not pregnant, by the way. It’s delicious, and doesn’t interfere with driving home. I also had a sip is champagne at my brother’s wedding, and got a lot of tsk-tsks.

Yep. American society norms reflect that Americans are dim witted consumers stuck in a binary world of good/bad, black/white, stop/go. Americans become rabid from the mental pain if you even hint at their simplistic view of the world. Of course Americans are this way and the government designed to serve them speaks to them this way. They have been steeped in a stew of Judeo-Christian believe us no one else brain washing, self conflicting desire over rational thought consumerism marketing, and jingoistic praise of their individual greatness just by being American so they will sacrifice and prostrate themselves at the feet of the select group of white men that control the country. You speak to dupes like dupes and don’t expect dupes to be more than dupes.

I think they should do another study where the control group has 1-2 drinks a week and the other group has 3-4 drinks a week. If that works out fine they could do higher-alcohol studies and by 2050 they might get up to 9-10 drinks a week.

Eh, if the word just got out to the point where it was accepted in the medical community and by the public that 1-2 drinks a week is fine then I think that would do a lot to shut up the Judgey McJudgertons.

I’m not sure 9-10 drinks a week is necessary or desirable.

Update: 3 of us tested negative this morning, but 2 kids tested positive. So now the whole family is on family quarantine for at least 10 days. Glad we didn’t go to practice Thursday.

3 Likes

Did you retest again today, or when you all tested on Thurs, the rapids were negative, but they also did PCR testing at the same time, and those results came back today with 3 negative and 2 positive?

Hope everyone recovers quickly and uneventfully.

Sorry to hear about the kiddos, but hopefully they’ll have mild cases.

Glad you didn’t go to the practice.

We did another rapid test today.

Hope everyone has a mild case, get well soon.

1 Like

Update and further question.

Mom and Dad fully vaccinated. 4 kids: 9(A),6(B),6(C),4(D), unvaccinated, of course.

9/24-9/26: Mom out of town
9/27: Mom returns. Mild symptoms at night.
9/28: Mom loses sense of smell, complete isolation from the rest of us begins, family quarantine begins
9/30: Mom gets test results back confirming COVID, other 5 all get rapid tested - negative. Isolation continues
10/2: Kid B and kid D test positive (A, C and Dad negative). Mom isolation is ended, entire family is now quarantining together. Mild symptoms start for Kids B and D.
10/3: Mild symptoms start for Kids A and C, Kid B has more severe symptoms. Kid A tests negative again, Kid C tests positive. Dad still negative and asymptomatic.
10/6: Mild symptoms start for Dad.
10/7: More serious symptoms start for Dad. Kid A tests positive.
10/10: Dad still feeling symptoms, Kid A still feeling symptoms. Everyone else feels fine.

So summarizing by individual:

Mom:
Vaccinated. First symptoms 9/27; positive test on 9/28 (rec’d 9/30); most symptoms done by 10/2; 10/10 is 14th day since first symptoms.

Dad: Vaccinated. Mild exposure on 9/27. Extreme exposure starting 10/2. Negative tests on 9/30, 10/2, 10/3, 10/7. Asymptomatic 9/27-10/6. Mild symptoms starting 10/6.

Kid A(9): Unvaccinated. Mild exposure on 9/27. Extreme exposure starting 10/2. Negative tests on 9/30, 10/2, 10/3. Very mild symptoms start on 10/3. Still symptomatic on 10/10. Positive test on 10/7.

Kid B(6): Unvaccinated. Mild exposure on 9/27. Extreme exposure starting 10/2. Negative test on 9/30. Positive test on 10/2. Symptoms gone after 36-48 hours.

Kid C(6): Unvaccinated. Mild exposure on 9/27. Extreme exposure starting 10/2. Negative tests on 9/30, 10/2. Symptoms start on 10/3, persist for 24-36 hours. Positive test on 10/3.

Kid D(4): Unvaccinated. Mild exposure on 9/27. Extreme exposure starting 10/2. Negative test on 9/30. Positive test on 10/2. Mild symptoms gone after 24-36.

So here is my interpretation of the CDC recommendations:

Mom: Fully done with quarantine. First symptoms were 14 days ago. Fever has been gone for more than a week.

Dad: Trickiest one. Still has not tested positive. I would say 10 days from 10/6, or 7 days from 10/6 if another negative test on 10/12.

Kids B and D: Quarantine ends 10 days from 10/2 (10/12 off quarantine) assuming no fever in past 24 hours.
Kids A and C: Quarantine ends 10 days from 10/3 (10/13 off quarantine) assuming no fever in past 24 hours.

Does continued exposure to others (e.g., Dad) change any of this?

1 Like