Contest! Predict the 2020 Swing State Winners and Margins!

:+1: If you are looking for something to distract check out The Queen’s Gambit on Netflix.

Thanks! I might do that. (Or I might wait until I can watch that with my husband. I think we’d both enjoy it.)

Thanks for the invite…I’m more of a “winner takes all” kind of predictor…I actually don’t look at polls…just futures markets…and they don’t give any information about margin of victory.

Regardless, fun little game you got here…enjoy the evening.

I’ve had that one recommended to me by Netflix…I’ve saved that email because I don’t want to forget to watch it…You’ve obviously watched it? An endorsement by MayanActuary is a powerful motivator.

I’m very glad to hear you saved that email. You do not want to lose this deal. You’ll be doubly glad to know that I think you will enjoy it MORE than Lucy, given your affinity for chess. Best chess-themed show/movie I’ve ever come across.

I watched that recently, much more interesting than I expected from a mini series about chess.

State Winner Margin
Arizona Biden 3
Florida Biden 1
Georgia Biden 2
Iowa Trump 3
Michigan Biden 8
Minnesota Biden 9
Nevada Biden 6
North Carolina Biden 4
Ohio Trump 1
Pennsylvania Biden 4
Texas Trump 1
Wisconsin Biden 7

Bonus
NE-02 - Biden
ME-02 - Biden

That lands at 351-187 in the Electoral College.

Here are the final entries barring any late stragglers entering in the last few minutes. I wish I knew some way to add color on this site to highlight Blue/Red, but right now B is positive and T is negative.

Best of luck!

State Actual Urysohn IPD YankTrip JoeBlow LuckyHat Mayan Bing AStudent soyleche Twig93 TedHoff
Arizona ? 1 1 1 2 -0 6 2 1 2 -1 3
Florida ? 3 0 -2 2 -1 1 3 -3 0 -0 1
Georgia ? -0 -1 -3 0 -2 2 1 -4 1 -1 2
Iowa ? -3 -0 -4 -0 -4 1 -2 -6 -2 -3 -3
Michigan ? 4 9 5 7 1 8 8 1 8 5 8
Minnesota ? 9 12 5 10 3 10 8 6 8 6 9
Nevada ? 7 4 1 4 0 6 5 2 6 2 6
North Carolina ? 1 0 -1 0 -1 5 2 -3 1 -1 4
Ohio ? -2 -1 -2 -2 -3 -1 -1 -5 -2 -2 -1
Pennsylvania ? 2 3 2 1 -0 5 6 1 6 3 4
Texas ? 1 -1 -4 -2 -4 0 -1 -2 -4 -3 -1
Wisconsin ? 5 7 4 5 2 10 10 6 6 4 7
NE-02 ? B B B B B B B T B B B
ME-02 ? B B B B T B B B B B B

And here are the consensus comparisons between GoActuary, 538, and RealClearPolitics-

State GoA 538 RCP
Arizona 1.6 2.6 0.9
Florida 0.4 2.5 0.9
Georgia -0.5 0.9 -1.0
Iowa -2.4 -1.5 -2.0
Michigan 5.8 8.0 4.2
Minnesota 7.8 9.1 4.3
Nevada 3.9 6.1 2.4
North Carolina 0.6 1.7 -0.2
Ohio -2.0 -0.6 -1.0
Pennsylvania 3.3 4.7 1.2
Texas -1.9 -1.5 -1.3
Wisconsin 6.0 8.3 6.7
NE-02 B B B
ME-02 B B B

So, we’re generally pessimistic on Biden compared to 538 and perhaps slightly optimistic compared to RCP. But I think everyone is signaling a Biden victory with LuckyHat having it the closest at (if I have a mapped filled in right) 270-268 and MayanActuary having it a 395-143 blowout.

Evergreen

1 Like

The startribune has even more recommendations:

FULL STORY BUT NO PICS

If there’s a nail-biting thriller about Chinese checkers, I haven’t seen it. Chess, on the other hand, continues to provide high drama.

Look no further than Netflix’s “The Queen’s Gambit,” a riveting new miniseries about an orphan (Anya Taylor-Joy) who conquers the gaming world with relentless ambition and a steady supply of little green pills. Director Scott Frank breaks up the board action with long tracking shots and a toe-tapping soundtrack that makes you feel like you’re watching a new installment of “Ocean’s 11.”

“Gambit” joins a roster of other chess movies and specials that are worth streaming:

‘Critical Thinking’ (2020)

John Leguizamo makes an impressive feature directorial debut in this underdog film about a scrappy Florida high school team that took home a national championship in 1998. Leguizamo, who also stars as the teens’ determined coach, does a superb job of capturing urban life and the struggles his heroes face when they’re not capturing pawns. Amazon

‘Bobby Fischer Against the World’ (2011)

You don’t need to know the difference between a bishop and a knight to be sucked into this fascinating documentary about one of America’s greatest mad geniuses. Director Liz Garbus deserves an honorary chess master title for making us feel like we know Fischer — whether we want to or not. YouTube

‘Chess in Concert’ (2009)

Not everything that ABBA touched turned to gold. This musical collaboration between Tim Rice and ABBA members Benny Andersson and Bjorn Ulvaeus never really got off the board (exception: the hit single “One Night in Bangkok”). But it’s amusing to see Idina Menzel and Josh Groban interpret songs from this London stage production. YouTube

‘Searching for Bobby Fischer’ (1993)

Quite simply, one of the most feel-good movies ever made. Joe Mantegna, Joan Allen, Ben Kingsley and Laurence Fishburne are among the grown-ups who support a prodigy as he tries to balance childhood with championships. Tubi

‘The Coldest Game’ (2019)

The Cold War gets played out in a sweaty-palm showdown between a Russian grand­master and an American professor who can’t move a pawn without being drunk. Bill Pullman pulls out all the stops as the troubled teacher who reluctantly steps into the role of hero. It’s far from a classic, but it’s a kick to watch the “Independence Day” president pretend that he’s starring in a remake of “Barfly.” Netflix

Rob Lowe and Allison Janney during “A West Wing Special to Benefit When We All Vote.”

‘A West Wing Special to Benefit When We All Vote’ (2020)

This stage version of a 2002 episode of the Emmy-winning series uses President Bartlet’s mastery of the game as an analogy to how he deals with a growing crisis with China. The special was previously exclusive to HBO Max, but is now free for nonsubscribers through the end of the year. hbomax.com/votebecause

‘Queen of Katwe’ (2016)

Chess gets the Disney treatment in this family treat about a 10-year-old Ugandan girl who pulls her family out of poverty through her chess skills. Lupita Nyong’o and David Oyelowo are both terrific as the adults who cheer her on. Disney+

AZ margin is a big surprise for me. AZ and PA were both big ??, but I didnt see AZ going biden +5.

Biden Taking AZ = Dems win. Rs machine forgot to show up there.

Lots of 5-8% polling misses from 538…amazes me.

McSally on the ballot was a drag. Maybe she’ll run for governor there in '22 and lose the party another prominent office.

AZ has been swinging purple for a while and I guess enough people have moved in from elsewhere + Cindy McCain coming out for Biden + formerly GOP voters leaving = flipping over. Dave Wasserman said it was more likely to go for Biden than WI/MI.

I thought the polls would be off. But not so inconsistently off.

agreed that AZ had a bit of a perfect storm to wash out the Rs

Granted, McGrath was always a longshot, she was double-digits down and needed massive discontent with McConnell that was never going to appear … but Graham was thought to be in serious trouble as polling showed him neck-and-neck with Harrison.

Put another way, almost $200 million bought the Democrats about 2.6 points closer in South Carolina and -5.1 points closer in Kentucky, and Harrison is about 14 points behind Graham right now barring some massive influx of yet-to-be-counted votes that pulls him considerably closer.

Yep, I just posted something similar (well, my own words) in the other thread. I see donations going way down 2 and 4 years from now. Or maybe going down in specific places?

The wasted ad spending seems related to the polling misses though as well. If the polls are better, more money flows to Biden and battleground states/races I’d think.

The polls consistently showed McConnell with a double digit lead in Kentucky so I don’t think you can blame the pollsters for that race.

2 Likes

Fair. Maybe it’s just good collections from candidates then. I saw ads that had “good” polls for Mcgrath - much better than double digits. So probably good marketing. If only they were as effective at targeting and changing voters minds :slight_smile: