Contact Sports in Youth and CTE Impact as adults

I assume there is some non-survivor bias here?

I’m kinda surprised that’s it only 40%. If you’re exposed to repetitive head trauma and don’t develop some CTE you should count yourself lucky.

Interesting that some female players are showing signs too. There has been some talk of restricting headers in soccer - perhaps restrict it to the penalty area?

2 Likes

I wince when I see the shots to the head that soccer players take from the ball. Got to have repercussions.

2 Likes

I’m guessing it may be less about contact with the ball, and more about when players accidentally knock their heads together.

Es futbol, non cabezabol

1 Like

That may be true but I assume the vast majority of those would be from players attempting to head the ball.

The ball is not that hard. Speed of impact is a big factor.
Heads and elbows are considerably harder and the speed of impact can be much lower and cause the damage.

Not sure what your point is. CTE in soccer players looks to be caused by repetitive head trauma. Whether that’s caused by head to head, elbow to head or ball to head, if you take away headers (or restrict them) a lot of those incidents of head contact will go away.

Topic seems to be much wider than NFL, so move discussion to its own thread.

Given that the skull is still very much developing until late adolescence, I think it’s a no-brainer to make “headers” illegal in youth/high school soccer. pun intended

Allow restrictions of use in college soccer; but not worry too much things at the professional level.

1 Like

Already enacted, at least in the USA. Backward countries might not do this.

1 Like

In Canada, body checking in boys’ hockey is now prohibited under 12 years of age which is smart for more than just protection. Let’s work on other skills rather than hitting people.

Head shot rules in NHL have gotten tougher but there are still offenders sadly.

1 Like

i played contact football from 7th through 12th grade. plenty of “stingers”, “slobber-knockers”, and “de-cleaters” in that history, whether giving or receiving. I’m convinced the occasional “forgetfulness” or hesitation to find the right word that I now experience, even at only 46 years old, is due to youth head trauma and not just usual aging.

It is known.

Soccer is not going to be a major problem. I would argue CTE in a soccer player is a very rare probability, and likely only found in defense players (likeliest to head the ball often after long kicks)

The problem is mainly Rugby, as it was played since early ages decades ago in commonwealth countries.

A large amount of players all over the world (UK, Australia, South Africa, Canada, New Zealand) is now coming out with problems related to CTE.

Its actually part of a huge lawsuit right now in the UK that I have been tracking.

Its the long balls that are the problem.

Kicks from PK from one end to the other have lots of momentum due to parabolic trajectory.

When defender heads the ball back you get a more amplified effect. This is what causes problems if a person does this again and again over many games.