2023 NFL Football thread

This article misses the point: Taylor won’t play anywhere until he gets money.

So, what will these teams offer Taylor, not the Colts? Which ones can pay him what he truly deserves (not what he thinks he deserves and not what the Colts think he deserves)?

Ryan Poles aint gonna do it, I know that. So Bears are definitely out. Dolphins are probably dumb enough to do it though and try to replicate the Rams.

8 posts were split to a new topic: Contact Sports in Youth and CTE Impact as adults

Is the Trey Lance deal now the worst trade in the history of the NFL: trade 3 1st round picks, have a player as a reserve for a couple years, then get a 4th round pick in return?

I feel somewhat bad for Lance. Injuries knocked him out quickly when he got his shot. The guy has had minimal game reps in college and the pros, so he hasn’t had much of a chance.

Worst? Maybe? A total misevaluation on Shanahan’s part for sure.

Dolphins were clear winners in that deal.

The Dolphins used the three first-round picks from the 49ers to trade up for WR Jaylen Waddle, then trade for veteran WR Tyreek Hill and DE Bradley Chubb

USSF has restricted heading for those under 11.

1 Like

It’s pretty shitty now that we can look back, but it was the 49’ers, so all’s good. Barnwell had a rare non-paywall column about this the other day.

Everyone should learn that a QB playing against shitty teams that make him look good doesn’t necessarily mean that he actually is good. What did Shanahan see that he can point to that justifies the trade and the pick? He probably won’t ever have to, but here’s what he did say:

“We thought we were aligned as a team to win right away when we did it with him,” Shanahan said. "We knew it would take him time, but we also had to make a decision where we were going to go with our team over a two-year window. … We took a shot with Trey because we believed he could. We knew it would take some time but in the meantime we’re gonna have a pretty good team. And the time that we did give him when he had his ops, he missed those.

“And those weren’t his fault. They weren’t our fault. Those are just what happens in football, and when you take a risk on someone who does need to develop and does need some of that time and then he misses that time and we are where we’re at right now.”

I’m thinking, Why him for all that capital? Lots of risk for what he saw as a lot of reward, assuming no injuries.
Also, why couldn’t they trade for him if he were picked ahead of him before their #12 pick? They could see if he was available. If so, no trade needed.

Good news is that they won’t get relegated.

People make a big deal out of it due to the trade.

But I don’t think it was really a reach for them to take Trey where they did. (can’t remember all that much of the draft).
They paid what they had to in order to move up.

They missed on a top 5 pick, which isn’t all that uncommon. The draft if a crap shoot no matter what.
I don’t know that the fact that they weren’t there to begin with means anything.

It was QB heavy draft with Lawarence, Wilson, Lance going 1, 2, 3.
Fields went 11 & Jones 15.

Minnesota’s trade for Herschel Walker is still the worst. It literally created the Cowboy dynasty.

2 Likes

A 10 year old article on the worst trades in NFL history:
https://www.si.com/nfl/2013/12/12/worst-trades-nfl-history

1 Like

I personally cannot value a QB anywhere near as high as most NFL GMs. But I do not think the Lance trade/pick was the worst thing ever. SF did make the NFC championship game both years after the draft. Had Purdy not been effective, Lance would have played and MAYBE become their guy and would hopefully evolve over time. It’s not SF’s fault that they made one of the best draft picks of all time which ultimately hurt the assessment of the Lance trade.

Hard to argue with #1 on your list.

If this list was updated, I expect the 2022 Russell Wilson deal would easily make the list.

1 Like

barnwell also noted that the trade did not work out for SF, but we can’t call lance a bust. that;'s TBD. the 49ers busted on the trade though.

there were many QB needy teams who passed on maholmes. looking back on stuff like that is bonkers.

possible . . . but I’d like to see how 2023 plays out with a HC that knows how to HC.

You can’t trade up w so much certainly and blow it. The 49ers trade 2 future 1s for 6 positions. Jets at least just blew their pick but he may work out with the kindler, gentler Rodgers mentoring him. Happy it was a team in Seahawks division. They won’t be as good as people think.

1 Like

I’m posting this here even though it’s not directly NFL related: want a free 30 day athletic trial? I have 5 passes. Not sure what they might ask free trial users to provide.

I like their coverage. It’s one of the few media subscriptions I buy,

For what?

The Athletic

No. Thanks.