Columbus day

The misguided criticism of Columbus: the reaction was to make Juneteenth a holiday.

It works much better for summer vacations. :judge:

So swap it for a national voting holiday in November. Will never happen because Republicans are afraid of letting more people vote though.

1 Like

I wonder what impact it would have on turnout.

I assume that among voters with jobs, Democrats are disproportionately likely to be in jobs where they don’t get federal holidays off (most service jobs, a lot of hospital jobs). But Republicans are disproportionately likely to be retired. And I’m guessing unemployed folks skew Democrat although that’s just a guess.

It’s not obvious to me what the impact would be.

Around here no one gets Columbus Day off though except a tiny subset of postal workers so if it was seen as swapping Columbus Day for Election Day then most employers may just ignore it.

this is long. can you summarize it briefly?

in looking up more what columbus did, he enslaved, raped, murdered, and tortured people. so, the italian americans take pride in this?

while we are at it, maybe we should have hitler appreciation day.

1 Like

But he DISCOVERED AMERICA!!! Why do you hate America?!?!

2 Likes

(Let’s ignore the fact that America had already been discovered by the Indians and later the Vikings.)

Even if it wasnt a federal holiday, it is still pretty offensive to make this italian pride day. It implies that italian americans are proud of Columbus.

fyp

Native American’s are the Jewish Lost Tribes

1 Like

okay i read it. it seems most people view this as fantasy and not really supported by any real evidence, but as a group that has also been persecuted in the past i can relate.

1 Like

Yeah my 7th grade Ohio History teacher taught us this as though it were fact but my understanding is that it’s just a theory and not super widely accepted.

Native American’s came from Russia, I came from Russia

1 Like

Confusing thought (you’re welcome): The people who were already here when the Vikings/Columbus arrived are commonly called Native Americans. They were the survivors of the wars that killed off earlier residents. Everyone born in America is a native American.

1 Like

I’m the genealogist in our family so have researched my wife’s Russian roots. I found it fascinating, like Fiddler on the Roof.

Let me know if you want to share stories offline.

1 Like

Yeah, I’m not really a fan of that term. Either none of us are native or we all are depending on how you look at it. But arriving earlier than someone else doesn’t really make you “native”. Canada’s “First Peoples” is a more logical term.

1 Like

i wish i knew more

we have traded some from my dad’s NYU days

not sure First caputures it either, as others may have predated them, but not survived

Eh, first permanent settlers is a thing IMO. It’s more correct than Native American at any rate.

“They were here when we got here” just doesn’t roll off the tongue.
“Tribes we fucked over.”
“Western Hemispherians.”
“Pre-Columbians.”