CL, EL, Cups and non-EPL League discussion

Mou will take out Spurs. It will be a classic.

Spurs were actually the betting favourites to win EL in the 2021 tournament until they lost in the quarterfinalsā€¦I have no faith in predictors.

Well, the Club Coefficient isnā€™t really a predictor. There is no science to it. You get points for for the past five years of making group stage and beating or drawing teams in Euro competition. And, you get points for being eliminated in Europa (and/or, I assume, in the upcoming Europa Conference) qualifying play-off rounds. And more points for getting to knockouts.
Says nothing about what youā€™ll do this coming year. Used mainly as a seeding process, and for determining the number of teams in each domestic league for each competition. (So, Merit-Based, not ā€œWe, self-defined great teams, decide to play in the best Euro League that we created. And maybe weā€™ll let a few peasants in, too.ā€)

Results of the top 8, in order of original seeding:

1. ARS, out in semiā€™s.
  2. TOT, out in the Round of 16.
  3. Roma, out in semiā€™s.
  4. Napoli, out in Round of 32.
  5. Benfica, out in Round off 32.
  6. Bayer Leverkusen, out in Round off 32.
  7. Villareal, in Final.
  8. CSKA Moscow, out in Group.

Wow, 10-10 in KFTPS, Villarreal keeper scores and subsequently saves.

De Gea hasnā€™t stopped a pk in something like 5 years (0-25) in competition. Not sure if he has had any shootouts. Henderson has saved about 40% in same time. Giving up 11 straight is not good.

Good thing is that helps Liverpool draw for CL, fewer chances of drawing Bayern or Atletico.

Now I see Barca may have some issues with money. They want to send Coutinho back for the debt left
on his transfer. They go for a free on Aguero. Not sure thatā€™s a better fit than Suarez who they let go. I do not see Barcaā€™s path back to Euro glory.

No Euro glory without being in Euro competitions.
Youā€™d think that Messi would be working that in the negotiations, getting Barca to crawl back to UEFA, or else Iā€™m outta here.

UEFA gets rid of the away goal rule

I could go either way on this. I like encouraging goals on the road, as the away team (usually) has a large crowd against them. But, Iā€™d also like to see extra time (but not kicks from the spot) on the first leg if it ends in a tie at regulation. It seems unfair for one side to get more time to play at home, especially when it is a random drawing that decides it.

Messi stays at FCB.

They should work out a Bobby Bonilla deal. Work for ā€œminimum wageā€ for five years, then pay him some deferred amount after he leaves, for 20 years.

Messi is leaving Barcelona!

I wonder if he will just take half a season off, wait for FCB to get their finances in order, then rejoin them then.

Or, maybe some MLS team will swoop him up for the second half of its season (looking right at Miami, who doesnā€™t seem to understand the Closed League rules), but then request the whole leagueā€™s budget to sign him. ā€œThink of the total league revenues! Get ESPN to renegotiate right now!ā€

Looks like heā€™s off to PSG.
Guessing that Roy Hudson will be switched to Ligue 1 matches on beIN Sports.
Time to start recording those matches instead. Shit, Mbappe, Neymar, and Messi on one team.
Ligue 1 has already started the season. How fast will Messi be in there?

Chelsea is close to signing Lukaku from Inter for 115m Euro

Also, too bad for ESPN, picking La Liga and losing 50% (my estimate) of their audience.

ADD:
I wish theyā€™d just call this what it is: a promo spot:

Sorry, Iā€™m watching ā€œLigue Unā€ now.

TOT on the verge of being eliminated from Europa Conference League. Play second leg Thursday at home, down 0-1. Maybe itā€™ll be on CBSSportsNetwork

No big upsets in EFL Thai Drink Cup, though ARS can still shit the bed v WBA(2) and so can SOU vs Newport County (4).

Sargent scores two for NOR.

Pulling for all the lower seeds, as usual.

The FA Cup is underway, and weā€™ve had a replay not due to a tie! Bridgewater United (Level 9) had originally defeated Brixham (Level 10) 2-1, but the match was ordered replayed after the referee gave a 10-minute ā€œsin binā€ punishment during the match - something allowed in lower level competition in English football, but not allowed in FA Cup play but.

No big deal, Bridgewater also won the replay 2-1.

1 Like

Ooh, UCL draw tomorrow, and Europa and Europa Conference draws on Friday!!
Letā€™s watch with bated breathā€¦ or wake up and itā€™s already happened.

4 all-premier league matchups in round 3. no huge matchups but TOT @ WOL and WHU @ MNU should be good.