CL, EL, Cups and non-EPL League discussion

Inter had their chances; I’d venture theirs were a lot clearer than the Rodri goal itself, especially Lukaku’s chance.

Obviously it’s a big deal to the City players, but it’s unfortunate that money basically rules in the two sports I watch the most - soccer and golf.

If it’s dirty bloody saudi money you are referring to, i agree.

1 Like

yeah, pretty much. not to claim that all the other money in sports is morally ‘clean,’ but I’m pretty confident that the owners of United, Liverpool, Arsenal, etc. are not state sponsors of terrorism.

True, but they prefer closed billionaire sports leagues.
Add Leeds to that.

Rejected by Barcelona because he was Canadian…Bayern not a bad place to land though.

Bellingham is now offically an RM player.

Now we just need Mbappe from PSG and our transition is assured. My view is that RM will wait for next year as it will be a free transfer and he is young.

The strained relationship between PSG and Mbappe may mean that he won’t sign a new deal there, but it would seem a bad idea for PSG to let him go for free next year when they could likely get some meaningful assets in terms of cash or a player by dealing him this summer. Saw an unsubstantiated rumor that PSG wants Rodrygo to deal Mbappe to RM this summer. If RM doesn’t want to deal a star like that, perhaps some other big club might.

Again, I am unfamiliar with the Transfer System, but I believe the player needs to agree to the move as well. Often the player requests it, for more playing time or some other reason. PSG can’t consign him to Newcastle or some cold Scottish club or The MLS just because.

Spain beat Italy for UEFA Nations League final spot. Play Croatia on Sunday. FS1, I believe.

The point is that PSG would be better off selling him to Real Madrid now rather than letting him go there for free in year.

And, RM aren’t likely to pay what PSG want. But, we have all summer to watch. And, again, doesn’t Mbappe have to agree to the transfer? Why should he laden down the team he plans to play for in a year on a free transfer?

Yeah, he’s not going to some 2 bit club. Would need to be another global club, and I’m sure plenty would be interested in him.

More on transfers, so I can understand it better, this from ESPN re Declan Rice:

Arsenal have identified Rice as their top midfield target and are keen on securing a deal swiftly so the 24-year-old can join their preseason tour to the United States.

Speaking after West Ham’s Europa Conference final victory over Fiorentina last week, club chairman David Sullivan said Rice is set to leave this summer with the player having two years remaining on his existing contract.

“We promised him he could go; he set his heart on going,” Sullivan said. "You can’t ask for a man who has committed more to us this season.

"In due course, he has to get on and we have to get a replacement – or several replacements. It’s not something we want to happen. We offered him £200,000-a-week 18 months ago. He turned it down.

“It’s cost him £10m to stay at West Ham in that time [in lost wages]. And he wants to go. You can’t keep a player who doesn’t want to be there.”

OK, so player wants to go, turned down an additional 10 million lbs from the club, that’s how badly he wants to leave (and I guess make even more money than that? Or is it just to win trophies?).

Mbappe won’t go to RM. Vini Jr is the guy there and RM more likely to go for Erling (younger, healthier).

Uhh, when would that be? I mean, why move to a shittier team?
No offense.

Mbappe would replace Benzema.

Vini Jr would not be impacted

I mention RM as Mbappe is well known to want to play for them eventually so he would agree to that transfer. PSG are better off selling him now to RM for something than letting him go there for free in a year. Less is better than none. Many player transfers happen like this with <one year on their contracts.

There is a lot of history between RM and Mbappe. This was due to Neymar and Messi being at PSG (made it harder to leave), so he ended up staying. With Messi gone, and Neymar soon to follow, its highly unlikely PSG will be competitive in Europe over the next few years. And Mbappe wants to win the CL.

So lets just say the ball is in Mbappe’s court now. RM have pursued him plenty in the past, so its now left to Mbappe to show initiative in the transfer process.

I wouldn’t be surprised if Vini wanted to bail from RM at some point due to all the racism he has to put up with.

I don’t see Vini Jr playing anywhere else due to weather and language/cultural differences (he only speaks Portuguese. This is common in Brazil).

While you have to deal with the small town racists in Spain, living in Madrid is quite different, and is likely to be very comfortable for him. Its easy to move back and forth from Brazil via Madrid as well. He is likely going to return to Brazil after a career in Spain (mostly with RM but could be other teams).

No chance he moves to the UK for example. The lifestyle here would not suit him and he is not used
to the awful weather (vs Brazil & Spain).

See below (Spanish player who moved to Man City with his family):