CL, EL, Cups and non-EPL League discussion

Just happy to see that MC is beatable.

Good report, in the non-EPL discussion thread. I hadn’t watched it (busy all morning, and catching up on yesterday’s (and this morning’s) matches).

The league is lost. This game shows how City won’t win CL.

Too bad that the Arsenal match against MC is postponed. That would have been an interesting test.

They will play it eventually.
And then, they will play again, in April.

Of course, but I would be interesting to know earlier rather than later.

Although I think Arsenal is the main challenger, Tottenham would be interesting opponent as well. Spurs seem to get up for their MC matches: they beat MC twice last year.

We still talking about the EPL, in the non-EPL thread?

ARS playing their Europa League makeup match this week, already staying for a couple of extra matches in February. WHU advancing in Europa Conference League.
MUN also sticking around in February.
As noted, the four EPL teams will likely advance to Champions League play-offs, MCI already qualifying, though TOT and CHE are in NFC-West-type parity Groups, and where the last place teams can still end up in first place (I think). And LIV in second, six points ahead of third.

Ok, will switch discussion to Europe. Have to think that Arsenal is the favourite to win its European championship.

Probably, if the current field are the only teams in the competition. But there are some third-place UCL teams coming.
Currently being on top of the best league in the world counts for something, though.

As expected the four English clubs all go through to the next CL round but TOT made it exciting as usual.

I still think Arsenal is the best club in Europa given the clubs that will be joining that competition.

Benfica pour on the Away Goals to win the Group over PSG!

Draw on Monday.

Liverpool’s next round opponent will be Bayern, Porto, Real Madrid or Benfica. Bayern probably the toughest?

Liverpool doesn’t struggle with German teams, they struggle with Spanish ones, both Madrid teams in particular. Glad PSG got taken out of max although beating them and ruining a CL run again would have been fun. This might be 2005, win CL to qualify for next year.

Uh-oh. LIV v Real Madrid. I believe, they are, um, Spanish?

Also, LIV owners looking to get out. Couldn’t get their American-style closed sports league going. So much easier to make money and threaten to move from cities that way.

1 Like

Tottenham will struggle in the next round regardless of their opponent so AC Milan is as good a matchup as any.

Should be a long list of interested billionaires given the cachet of owning Liverpool!

If FSG owns teams you like, it’s good. As a Sox fan, 4 World Series titles. Liverpool won a league and has 3 CL finals. Hope they remain majority owners and sell a stake.

As far as Madrid, tough match. It is after the break so maybe Reds get a new MF after investing in 3 forwards. They need to replace Thiago. He doesn’t fit their style and stops the ball constantly. He also fouls or comes close to fouls in the box. Hendo is also done. Arthur got hurt immediately. Maybe Tielemans. I like Elliot but he’s got some learning.

Alright, League Cup action this week. On ESPN+, so not watching any of that, even though MCI play CHE.

ARS solidifies their goal of winning EPL by getting knocked out of EFL Cup.
MCI solidifies their goal of winning everything by beating CHE in the EFL Cup.