Children should be seen, but not heard

do you mean the people who cracked down on that or the kids who were having eggs and shaving cream wars? I found the kids who did that to be a nuisance. They didn’t usually target innocent bystanders, but it wasn’t unheard of for them to do that. It’s good if the cops stopped that nonsense.

when i lived in rentals there were very few kids in the buildings. once i moved to a co-op there are tons of kids.

i should have stuck to renting. i also never had to deal with anyone remodeling any of the rentals in the building.

I owned… just happened to be mostly old people in the building. :woman_shrugging:

When I rented we had a lot of kids. My kids went trick-or-treating in the building, and we gave candy to all the other kids in the building. It was fun.

The noise that bothered me wasn’t the kids, that was usually happy noise. The noise that bothered me was the neighbors who fought. They’d get drunk, and she’d scream, and he’d hit her, and they they’d have loud make-up sex. I considered calling the cops, but the violence always ended before I actually did it.

Crying babies at 3:00 AM was pretty annoying when I was renting in an inadequately soundproofed building.

2 Likes

Crying babies at 3am was pretty annoying when it was my kids, too. Fortunately, that was only for a couple of weeks.

I remember TOT in an apartment building. So fun. I don’t remember ever hearing my neighbors. I was 5. I think everyone had kids there.

if you were 5 you’re likely oblivious to “hearing your neighbors”.

1 Like

This is the sign I put on my bowl of candy I put outside.

Take Some
Please
Be Kind

I did enjoy hearing the parents reading it trying to figure out what I meant. I though about only using 2 lines or using punctuation. But it turned out fun listening to them read it. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Our sign was:

Smile!
You’re on camera!
Please take only one each.
Happy Halloween

(PS: We didn’t have a camera trained on the candy bowl.)

I’d’ve read that as a “double phrase” (like what you might see on Wheel of Fortune):

Take Some, Please
Please Be Kind

I almost feel like it would be funny to leave out a bowl of candy and a sign that says something like “Do not take any of my candy” and see how the kids react.

I was handing out our candy ands there were still kids taking 2 from the bowl. One little princess took 3.

1 Like

Mine were about the smallest sized ones so I was OK with them taking more than one. I just didn’t want someone dumping the entire bowl into their pillowcase.

Our community FB group got a post of doorbell video of some kids stealing lighted decorations sitting next to the bowl of candy. Though it looks like it got deleted now.

Same. I had full sized candy bars and some took 2 or 3. But I only had 30 kids total. 32 if you count the teens who brought a little sister and I insisted they take something for themselves. (Other teens TOT for themselves so why not? They acted surprised tho.)

I had “fun sized” candy, so I told the kids to take two. Except for the tiny kids. One kid took a lot. The others were fine. Sample size, 13.

:bump:

2 Likes

My response was, can I take off $50 from the bill if the wait staff can’t do their job correctly or the kitchen staff can’t do their job correctly?

4 Likes

Well I have made that argument before, successfully. But usually in extreme cases.

I’m curious how well behaved the kids really were. The one parent says extremely well behaved. If true then that’s ridiculous, but some parents have very low standards. On the other hand, a $50 surcharge for simply bringing well-behaved children into a restaurant is absurd.

If the restaurant so badly doesn’t want kids, put an age limit for entry to the restaurant. That might be seen as a plus by some patrons. Maybe even a few parents who want a kid-free night.