Children should be seen, but not heard

Most houses that participate in halloween have decorations up. If you do not, kids tend to skip your house. Anyway, it is never a good idea to advertise to the world that you’re not home for someone to break into your house.

I was intimating that you would have the sign up even though you were home…curmudgeon-like.

No, I just wouldn’t answer the door. A sign up is opening yourself up to a break in or vandalism

Gosh, just go out of the house for 3 hours on Halloween. I can’t imagine what an unhappy person would make a thread like this. It’s like the people who just seem to hate the existence of kids forget that they were once a kid, but perhaps the reason they grew up to be so damn resentful of kids is because they only were surrounded by people who resented them… and the cycle continues. Yeah, some kids stink because their parents stink at parenting, but to this attitude towards kids in general… whoof.

1 Like

It isn’t just halloween. It’s all the time that kids are loud in an apartment building. Add to that, my neighbors have been doing construction for the past 3 months, and yeah, noise is a MAJOR ISSUE HERE. it’s not just 3 goddamn hours. thanks for playing with your condescending nonsense. you’re likely the worst offender if you believe that people who want some peace and quiet are the miserable ones who should leave.

you’re probably oh, no big deal, just leave your apartment for 3 months as your neighbors do loud intrusive construction. NO BIG DEAL, RIGHT?

also, not even just 3 months. when those neighbors finish, another starts.

and yes, I have left, for weeks at a time. I come back and THEY ARE STILL FUCKING DOING IT.

Sounds like the issue with the noise in your apartment is the adults, not the kids…

1 Like

no, it’s both. kids scream in the hallways and stomp on the floors. YOU THINK KIDS ARE QUIET? ARE YOU FUCKING SERIOUS?

even screaming in their own apartments and I hear them. they are just that loud.

I have 4 kids, so I’m well aware that kids aren’t quiet… however, I live in the suburbs, I’m a great parent, and thus my kids are well mannered.

Live in a highrise. Didn’t see no kid.

okay, well, maybe you should be a little more sensitive to my feelings rather than jumping to insult me.

the suburbs are entirely different than an apartment building.

Since you cannot kick the all other tenants out, keep them from renovating or keep their kids quiet, maybe you should move somewhere quieter. It would probably be good for your mental health, and by extension, your physical well-being as well. (/armchairpsychologist)

Are you over age 50 yet? There are many over-50 communities that don’t even let children live there.

1 Like

Very much this.

no, i’m still under 50.

Is this a good time to note the inherent luxuries of living in Manhattan? :laughing:

5 Likes

In my town they have this set up where all the trick-or-treating is done on one street every year and it’s facilitated by the police closing the street down and sort of guarding the area (and often giving out candy themselves). This year, due to COVID, it was no longer the official trick-or-treat street (although in practice it still was).

I’m very torn on this policy. On the one hand it’s kind of convenient, on the other hand it doesn’t feel quite the same as regular trick or treating, although at least on that front if we ever wanted a change of pace we could just go to the town over.

The REAL tragedy is no one comes to my house for candy :frowning:

1 Like

Talk about the Joy Thieves . . .

1 Like

Are you complaining that you’ll have extra candy around?

When I was a teenager it became apparent to me how cheap candy is.

I’m complaining I won’t get to give it out! You can always buy more candy.

Yeah, I’m glad that when I was living in a multi-family building it was mostly old people who’d been there forever. Very little remodeling, and hardly any kids who lived there. There were a lot of kids visiting grandparents on the 4th of July but the rest of the year it was fairly devoid of kids.

There were 3 kids who lived in the building (two siblings and an only child) but they lived far away from me and I don’t think they were all that noisy anyway, but I’m not sure.

I always made sure their parents knew I had candy for them and they’d trick-or-treat at my door. I liked seeing their costumes; they were cute. :woman_shrugging: