Car Buying During Pandemic Conditions

I don’t get the attraction of RVs. I think small, light weight hatchbacks are a ton of fun and are reasonably practical. I also spent $4k on a set of speakers. Just my economic preferences.

The Civic has grown 10” in the last 20 years. I’m 6’ tall and I don’t have any issues with compact cars. My last four cars were compacts.

2 Likes

Yeah my son is 6’4" and I’m 6’. Both of us fit fine in his civic.

My BIL is 6’4" and fits fine in my GTI.

My son is 6’5" and fits just fine in his Corolla. I wouldn’t want to sit in the back seat behind him mind you but he has no problem driving around which he has to do a fair amount of on his job and he loves the 50+ mpg on his hybrid.

Yeah, my pay has gone up faster than what I’d be willing to spend on a car.

Maybe a function more like 15000 + 2M or so, where M is monthly pay. I’m not sure if that’s the exact formula, but something along those lines.

Before I broke 6figs, I definitely did spent 6 months worth of salary on a new car. Now that I make about double what I did then, lol no way.

1 Like

Why no fractional value?

I forgot you have a GTI. It’s what I should buy and I need to drive one, and the Mazda3 turbo. But I’m not an adult yet apparently and really like the hard-edged Honda.

The best car I ever owned was my Mazdaspeed3, such a fun car.

On an inflation-adjusted basis, 12000 + 3M is fairly close to where my car purchases have fallen. :woman_shrugging:

I am cheaper than that. I didn’t want to spend 40k, or even 30k. Was glad to have options in the mid 20s.

2 Likes

Or you might make more than me!

Actually I splurged a little with my current car. I really wanted the ventilated seats so I bought the top trim with all the bells & whistles.

In nominal terms each of my cars cost roughly double what the prior one cost. But I haven’t bought that many cars.

If you’re into fun-to-drive impractical Hondas I’m getting ready to sell my S2000. It’s a blast but I don’t get to drive it enough.

Such a great car, what year? Prices are way up, you should come out pretty well selling it.

The truck I bought in September (iirc) 2021 has had “Check Engine, Reduced Power” warnings since I bought it. I just made the 5th appointment to get this fixed. A this point I think it is a lemon and I will be getting a new truck (It actually started to smell like something is burning too). The techs at the GM dealership cannot pinpoint the issue and think it might be a faulty chip (I don’t know why their computers cannot check this - but whatever)

Noooo! That is a fun car - I remember you picking me up at the airport with it and driving the 26.2 course with me…Good times!

1 Like

I really need this. My Prius has leather seats :yuck: and my backside gets all sweaty. It’s quite annoying.

Maybe there is literally a lemon burning in there.

How much I’m willing to spend on a vehicle depends on what else I’m also spending money on. Right now it’s too much other stuff.

For myself, I’m a super anxious driver, and while I’d love a Porche Macan, I couldn’t do it. I’d be too afraid to wreck it.

For hubby though, I’d love to drop the $ on a brand new truck or even a sports car. When we first knew we might need a vehicle this year he test drove a Mustang, but he said it was really hard to get in and out of. We’re old and fat.