Car Buying During Pandemic Conditions

Are there any deals to be had or did you have to pay MSRP? It seems the used car market may have eased up a bit but I don’t think many new cars are being sold for much discount, if any.

/cheap actuary

No discount, which we expected. Hubby said he felt “not totally screwed”.

As a cheap actuary myself, I’d still rather have the payment I can plan for than the repairs I can’t plan for.

2 Likes

OK. Truecar.com says that VW Tiguans are going to 100% of sticker price, so you are affirming that truecar seems reasonably accurate.

By extension, truecar.com seems to be be a reliable source of information about actual car sales prices.

I mean, they started at $5k over, but we had just started looking seriously, and weren’t going there.

Yeah, if I were buying a car (and I hope to in 2022), I’d be fine paying MSRP based on what all has happened in the recent-ish past. If he got roughly the color and options he wanted, mark it down as a win.

1 Like

I will be buying at least one car this year, and have been following the car market closely.

Some currently popular models are in short supply, and are commanding 110% to 120% or more of sticker price. I like the new Ford Bronco, but I am not willing to pay 10k over sticker. 3 row SUVS, despite record gas prices, seem to be in short supply no matter what make you are interested in.

Did you know that you could buy a Jeep that could cost you $120,000 including tax? I’m interested in a well optioned Ford Expedition, but that is commanding about 90,000 now.

It seems like dealers are mostly stocking higher end trims on the cars they can get. If you want a basic, no frills model of whatever, you may be forced into choosing one with more options than you initially wanted. So learn to be happy with leather and a sunroof, because that may be your only choice.

And again, you likely can only find a car in any color you see from It’s a Wonderful Life- so I hope you like black, white, and/or shades of gray.

The new, uh, Grand Wagoneer I think? With the McIntosh stereo, or did they drop that? Crazy money for a Chrysler product.

A friend in Utah says his Ford dealer is charging MSRP+$20k for Broncos and people are buying them.

I’m after a Civic Type R once the 2023 is available. It will likely come in one trim with no options other than add-ons like floor mats, and it’ll probably be offered in about four colors. We’ll see what demand looks like, I might pay a grand or two over sticker, more than that and I’m just going to wait.

Some car commercial on the golf tournament this weekend had some big ass suv going for about $60k…and that was probably the “starting at…” price.

Holy crap, I tell you, that’s more than my grandfather paid for his farm back in the day. I know all about inflation and such, but, geezo beezo, for $60k you’d better be able to live in that thing.

Interestingly, wife bought a not-too-fancy Mercedes gla a few years ago. She has stated numerous times that she likes it so much that she would live in it. Personally, it doesn’t fit me well (height wise).

It seems that the difference between the “starting at” price and the “top end” price is bigger than the “starting at” price for many cars, especially trucks and SUVs. F150s start at about 40k and you can definitely spend more than 80k

black, white, light gray, charcoal gray

2 Likes

They did red and blue last time (plus white and gray, and maybe black?). And a yellow special edition. It is a Type R, so they may turn it up just a bit.

How many months of gross salary is too much to pay for a vehicle?

• How many months of salary on a car?
  • 12 - I would pay at least 1 year’s gross salary on a car I wanted to buy

0 voters

Need to see @John.S.Mill 's vote here. YOLO.

1 Like

I put 6.

I have an audi and when I bought it 4 years ago it was about 50% of my salary then.

Realistically though? If I liked cars and liked driving (I don’t really care for either), I could see myself saving a few years to buy a Bentley or something.

1 Like

so we are about to buy out my wife’s lease

I sent an e-mail to our dealer just to check if there has been any relief in lease costs for what we are looking for.

Isn’t that just four shades of gray?

Yup. As I said, any color as long as you can find it in IAWL.

I’d never buy a Bentley, but in the same sort of price range, I’d buy a DX3 but that would be way over 12 months

I don’t get the attraction, in general.

If you want a small, efficient and reliable car, I think the regular Civic is a fantastic option.

Spending big dollars to load one up with too much power, ending up at a price that surpasses a loaded Camry and even up to Avalon territory? It may be very quick but it is still small, relatively uncomfortable, expensive, and can’t haul much. If your over 6’, forget it.

I voted 4 months. But I personally would not spend that much. But thinking to when my salary was closer to entry level, I can see how that number might be needed to give options and some style considerations.

1 Like

These are all really good points, imo.

I see your point, but I’m 6’ 0.5". Back in the day, I fit nicely into a Honda Civic and these days a Toyota Prius is no problem for me. Mind you, I wouldn’t say it’s “roomy” just that I don’t feel the least bit cramped. Also, I have shorter legs & a longer torso than most 6’+ people. I’m just giving a data point. YMMV, especially if you’re heavy on the accelerator and brakes.