Canada <> US

Top gear car sauna:

Their gallon also has more litres in it than ours does.

Eh, that’s just 30 degrees in C.
I think it makes more sense to have 100 degrees being the difference between liquid and gaseous water.

Try 37 C… 37 C is pretty freaking hot.

I’ve mostly gotten used to the miles and the Fahrenheit thing - I’m still uncomfortable with all the false advertising I get in the mail.

“THIS IS YOUR EXACT CAR, CORRECT? BUY THIS THING BEFORE YOUR WARRANTY* EXPIRES! WE SWEAR, IT’S EXPIRING!!”

*…we are in no way affiliated with your actual warranty. Just trust us, one day it will probably expire.

Commercials for prescription medications also - Canada doesn’t have those.

Yeah, I meant that 30 is kind of the dividing line for really hot. 20’s is nice. Into the 30’s and we’re getting into hot pavement weather.
37 C is beyond hot. That’s stay inside weather.

Roight roight.

Fun fact : I accidently on purpose had my outdoor wedding in August in NC. Nobody told me that outdoor weddings in August in NC are a bad idea, particularly if you are a sweaty beast.

Yeah, August is a bad month to get married for weather. We got married in August, hottest day in many years. The smoke detectors were going off inside the church it was so hot. Good job I wore a dark suit, because I was drenched.

My hair is absolutely stuck to my shoulders in almost every photo. It’s amazing. Wouldn’t change a thing.

So I can legitimately say I’m “pretty freaking hot?”

How do you get medicines without prescriptions in Canadia?

Congrats on the wedding, Mrs Fox(?)

Fun fact: We honeymooned in NC in August. Likely a different August. Possibly a different NC.

You still need a prescription. Canadians take it to the pharmacist and then depending on factors that I’m not aware of, you get the brand name or the generic. But there’s no advertising.

Why would your neighbours [sic] get a sticker on your vehicle?

I miss @erosewater. He would have had much to contribute to this topic.

2 questions:

1. Why were people recognising [sic] animal doctors?
  2. Canadia has “forces”?

imo, the best description of Canadia (and its differences with US) is this:

I go back and forth.

So, the ONLY thing I’m bilingual in is temperature. I don’t translate. I just know what various temperatures feel like to me. I realized that the big Island of Hawaii felt like a foreign country when I noticed that every time a temperature was given in Fahrenheit it felt weird. (Also, I realize I don’t vacation out of the US in the winter, so I only know C down to 0.)

I certainly never care about a 1 degree difference in temperature F, unless I am taking my temperature to see how sick I am. But I suppose it’s handy that the “decades” mean something in F, whereas a block of ten degrees C is kinda large.

That being said, in general, 0-10C is nice if it’s dry, nasty if it’s wet. 10-20 is cool, 20-30 is warm, 30-40 is hot, and anything over 40 is miserable.

The place I like English measures is cooking volume measures. A cc or ml is way to small, and I don’t like needing to use big numbers. I like having the measures be new names at factors of 2 - 4. So,

1/4 tsp,
1/2 tsp
3/4 tsp
tsp
Tbsp
Oz
1/4 cup
1/3 cup
1/2 cup
3/4 cup
cup
pint
quart
gallon

are all useful sizes – different enough to care. And I can remember all of those.

I grew up with C. 7C was freezing for me. But humidity likely has a lot to do with it, as well as the lack of indoor heating where I grew up. Getting out of the shower was always a battle.

When I came to the states, the equivalent of 7C seemed perfectly reasonable to me. That’s when I learned that temperature doesn’t really mean much without humidity.

For example, you can put your hand in 400F oven and be perfectly fine.

For a little while…

Yes.

You must have me confused with some other Tiffany.

Hmmm…

No, I don’t think I’m confused, Miss Kapowski.