British Royal Family

A closer comparison would be the kardashians. I dngaf about either family, I get stupider even thinking about either of them.

Really, what have either of these families done that I’d even remotely care about. I guess Kanye had some music in a genre I don’t listen to.

There’s an interesting economist article about all the money they stand to make with this sort of “content” (arguably as much as $0.5b in their first year of selling merch).

I’m cynical they’re in it for the $$$, especially considering they make only vague accusations of racism and don’t even name anyone.

watching the interview now. 1/3rd of the way through. she’s being somewhat vague so far. first she said the family was wonderful to her, and now it seems to be coming out that she was sort of kept a prisoner, and told she was going out too much when she had only gone out like twice in 4 months, and the family let horrible false rumors be spread about her in the press without correcting them when they corrected said rumors about anyone else in the family. sounds like she was being vilified in the press, and wasn’t allowed to defend herself and nobody in the family would defend her. she was told her soon to be born son would never be a prince, and therefore would not get security and she is fairly certain it’s due to the color of his skin. so she feared for the security of her child. someone in the family who she refused to name had concerns that her baby would be too dark, so she thinks that’s why they decided he would never be a prince.

As an american going into this, she was entirely clueless what it was all about.

sounds like a shitty situation. makes sense so far that they would want to escape to the US where people really don’t have as much of an opinion against her like they do in the UK. she wouldn’t be a villain here like she seems to have been portrayed there.

also extreme racism from the UK press. she became suicidal over it and wasn’t allowed to seek mental help. it was frowned upon. harry viewed how meghan being treated as a repeat of history for how his mother was treated and wanted to save her from that.

they also didn’t initially plan to move to the US. they moved to canada to be lower tier members of the royal family, rather than quit entirely, but then they were cut off from royal security and basically fired from their royal duties and cut off financially, so they felt unsafe. they were getting death threats, so cutting off their security was scary. it was march 2020, so they figured if they don’t move now they would be stuck where they were due to covid. someone offered them a house and security in LA, so they quickly took it.

sounds like the entire royal family is sort of trapped in this weird fake life where they have to appease the press or face the wrath of stories against them, and then face the wrath of idiots who follow their every move whether real or not. i see a lot of these idiots on facebook, mostly from the UK. Americans have idiocy for our own shit, like Donald Trump, so not claiming we are better. We might be worse. I read one comment on fb where someone thought Meghan was jealous of Kate because she wants to be queen. That seems like such the opposite of true. Sounds like Meghan was an American who knew little about the royal family, but fell in love with Harry, wanted to be his wife, but had to deal with all that side shit from his family. I don’t think some people from the UK realize that an American is pretty unlikely to have a lifetime goal to be a British royal, let alone queen.

The stuff about the prince isn’t that surprising and likely would have been the case with any child of Harry’s of any race.

In order to not have some crazy number of princes and princesses out there, there’s protocol on who gets those titles. I think the monarch does have some discretion to exercise judgment and I thought it was possible she’d make an exception for Archie particularly because he’s not 100% white… to fend off criticisms of racism, but I guess not. That might be me thinking like an American.

I think it’s only children of those directly in line to the throne (so that would cover all of Charles’ & William’s kids, and hypothetically George’s kids) plus children and grandchildren of the monarch (which tacks on Anne, Andrew, Edward, and their kids). But great-grandchildren of the monarch who are not directly in line to the throne or the child of someone directly in line don’t cut it. Which would be Archie.

Worth noting is that while Andrew’s daughters are royal princesses, Anne’s and Edward’s kids are not. Anne’s & Edward’s kids qualify but did not get those titles, I believe at Anne’s & Edward’s requests. The only great-grandchildren of Elizabeth’s who got the title prince or princess are William’s kids, and William is directly in line to the throne.

So Elizabeth was following protocol there.

Now it’s a little unusual in that Archie will qualify to be prince after Elizabeth dies because at that point he’ll be the grandchild of a monarch. And Charles could theoretically make him prince at that time. But with the “split” I’m guessing Archie will never be a British prince.

I remember reading, when Harry & Meghan’s engagement was announced, that they should wait to have kids until Elizabeth dies so their kids could be prince / princess. But given how old they were that seemed unlikely.

I’ve found it odd that Meghan gets accused of this when she had a successful career before marrying Harry but Kate doesn’t who didn’t.

3 Likes

they’re just writing live material for The Crown season 6. probably signed a deal

1 Like

Kate did work between college and marriage, both for her father’s company and for a (I think high-end) clothing company. I think that job was also something she got through her father’s connections. So certainly Meghan is the more self-made of the two.

it was vague, but i was under the impression that they decided that even when the queen dies and charles takes the throne, meghan and harry’s kids still won’t be made royalty as grandchildren of the king. i think that would go against the norm.

of course this whole royalty thing in 2021 seems really silly to me and are any of them really happy? sounds like no. bunch of miserable rich people.

It’s a fairly unusual situation to begin with: the monarch having great-grandchildren from younger heirs. They usually die sooner.

A future King Charles certainly could make Archie a prince, and still might if they’re facing heat for being racist. It’s sort of an obvious way to deflect criticism of being racist.

But it’s certainly a lot less likely now that Harry & Meghan have left the country and left royal service. And with William having three kids, certainly Archie’s chances of ever becoming King or even in direct line for King are extremely slim. If he ever were in line to be King they’d probably go ahead & make him a Prince at that point. But that probably isn’t happening.

being an unusual situation makes it that they should have made him a prince. i see why this bothers meghan and harry.

but one thing that came out of this interview is that both meghan and harry seem to think very highly of the queen, harry’s granny, and have the best relationship with her of the family, which is confusing. i think it was her decision to cut them out of royal life and to not make their kids royalty.

Yeah, I was aware that the protocol was that Archie wouldn’t be a prince, but I kind of expected an exception since he will in the future be the grandson of the king.

But again, half of Elizabeth’s grandchildren are not prince / princess. So :woman_shrugging:

i’d have to draw a family tree to understand this all.

I don’t think he gets into specifically what you want, but this guy likes to make family trees.

Well I’m not much for drawing diagrams in chat rooms, but I can attempt to explain Elizabeth’s heirs.

First Generation:
Queen Elizabeth

Second Generation (Elizabeth’s children):
Prince Charles
Princess Anne*
Prince Andrew
Prince Edward

*Note that as a girl, Anne is lower in the order of succession than her younger brothers.

Third Generation (Elizabeth’s grandchildren):
(Charles’s children)
Prince William
Prince Harry

(Anne’s children)
Peter (not a prince, but does qualify)
Zara (not a princess, but does qualify)

(Andrew’s children)
Princess Beatrice
Princess Eugenie

(Note that Beatrice and Eugenie are higher in the line of succession than Peter and Zara because Andrew is male.)

(Edward’s children)
Louise (not a princess, but does qualify)
James (not a prince, but does qualify)

Fourth Generation (Elizabeth’s great-grandchildren):
(Charles’s grandchildren, William’s children)
Prince George
Princess Charlotte*
Prince Louis

(Charles’s grandchild, Harry’s child)
Archie (not a prince, won’t qualify until his grandfather, Charles, is monarch)

(Anne’s grandchildren)
4 total, 2 from each of her kids, none princes or princesses and don’t qualify

(Andrew’s grandchild)
1 grandson from Eugenie (not a prince, doesn’t qualify)

Edward does not yet have any grandchildren. They will not be princes or princesses when they come.

*They changed the rules of succession to get rid of male preference for children born in or after… whatever year George was born. Thus Charlotte did not lose her place in line to her little brother though it is unlikely to be relevant.

My god that’s confusing. Probably okay that harry’s kids dont have titles I’m guessing

Yeah, I mean Archie is the highest person on the line of succession who doesn’t have a title, so there’s that.

The line of succession goes

1. Prince Charles
  2. Prince William
  3. Prince George
  4. Princess Charlotte
  5. Prince Louis
  6. Prince Harry
  7. Archie
  8. Prince Andrew
  9. Princess Beatrice
  10. Princess Eugenie
  11. Eugenie’s (non-prince) son
  12. Prince Edward
  13. James
  14. Louise
  15. Princess Anne
  16. Peter
  17. Peter’s first kid
  18. Peter’s second kid
  19. Zara
  20. Zara’s first kid
  21. Zara’s second kid

That wraps it up for Elizabeth’s heirs. Next are her late sister Margaret’s heirs and then you get into her many cousins’ heirs plus a cousin or two who are still alive.

Oh, and I edited my earlier post because, and I did have to look this up, Edward’s daughter Louise is older than his son James, but as they still had male preference when James was born, he overtook his big sister in the line of succession.

Oh, and if you think that is confusing… try to understand the order in which they all bow/curtsy to each other. Which changes depending on whether the person’s spouse is present or not.