Bridge: Up for a challenge?

Win by 18 vs procrastinator, by 21 vs AA. Both reissued

procrastinator wins the regular challenge with +15.75, by 2.25.

Here is the comparison of IMP and matchpoint results (where everyone knew the official scoring was imps)

Rank    imps matchpoints
       1   15.75          35
       2    13.5        33.5
       3   -0.25        29.5
       4      -8          33
       5     -21          29

The declare-only used watchpoint scoring. I won with a 60.42% game. Second was 57.55%. procrastinator timed out before completing all the boards, which would greatly complicate my calculation of imp-scoring results, much more effort than the benefit derived.

Since VVV and AA are advocating for matchpoint scoring of the Declare-only, and NN is content to go along with that, and I’m not sure of procrastinators preference, then until further notice the Declare-onlys will be matchpoints (and I’ll announce results as percentages).

Both reissued. AA out in the regular; NN out in the Declare-only.

I think you accidentally made them both declare-only

Oops. So I did. One matchpoints, one imps. So play either, both, or even neither, up to you. They’re over around 11PM May 4 even if someone hasn’t played. Maybe next time will be right.

Anyone else could start a regular Imp group challenge if they want. I have only two BBO ids, so can only host 2 group challenges at a time, and don’t think I can cancel a challenge prematurely.

Lose 14-12 to NN, with 14 pushes and 1 big swing each way. Reissued

Win 14-12 vs procrastinator. Including a very strange +5 when he didn’t follow my guideline “Don’t gamble a grand if your opponent might not even bid 6.” Odds even more so this time, since due to a misunderstanding CHO and I weren’t even in game. How often do you see 7C - 1 at one table, 3C + 2 at the other. Looking at both hands, you would want to be in 3N, with 4H also excellent.

Tie 16-16 with AA. Both reissued

I didn’t mean to connect matchpoint scores and number of hands dealt. I was only trying to say how unlikely it is for me to declare that few hands. The point of showing the 58% was to demonstrate I was trying to play my best and not just intentionally manipulating the results.

VVV wins the matchpoint declare-only with 57.03%, by 3.12%. Imp declare-only will expire by late tonight, but I may not get it reported and reissued until tomorrow.

Matchpoint declare-only reissued; AA out.

oirg wins the “Regular” group challenge, which turned out to be a Declare-only with imps scoring. oirg had +7.34, a margin of 4.00. Reissued, intended as a regular challenge including bidding, imp scoring. procrastinator out

12-12 tie with NN. 14 of the 26 imps that changed hands were on 1-level contracts (one of them doubled), made at one table, down 1 at the other. 1 other imp on an overtrick in a 1-level contract at both tables.

Win by 19 vs procrastinator. Timed out after 9 boards vs AA. Suspect I was behind, since I elected to play 3NT down 1 on a hand where 4S might make, vul. (Looking at our hands, you wouldn’t want to be in game, but 4S is by far the best game and it would be tough to stop short of game on the bidding. (Also, if you stop it will be in 3S which makes). Some possible pickups on other hands, but nothing definitely good.

Both reissued.

oirg wins the regular challenge with an enormous +40.75, by 28.50.

:swear: I timed out (after 13 boards) on the declare-only so someone else will have to report. Yesterday when I timed out against AA, I knew I was in time trouble and might not finish. This time I thought I had plenty of time left.

Both reissued. oirg out in the regular; procrastinator out in the declare-only.

Win by 13 vs NN. Reissued

I won the declare only with just 53.13%, by a margin of 2.09%. You may wish you had finished. :slight_smile:

21-21 tie with procrastinator. Win by 24 vs AA. Both reissued.

I win the regular challenge with +31.34, the only positive score. VVV wins the declare-only (matchpoints) with 62.38%, by 7.03%. Both reissued, with NN out in the regular, VVV out in the declare-only (matchpoints)

ETA: oops. The regular challenge is “Best Hand”, which means no other hand has MORE hcp than we do. Considering distributional value, our hand may not have the best playing strength.

win by 29 vs NN. Reissued

ETA: win by 6 vs procrastinator, by 46 vs AA. Both reissued

Oops. Just realized, 7 boards in, that the Declare-only is imps. It didn’t affect my play on most of the seven hands. One perhaps it mattered, but not clear that the outcome would have been different had I played differently. I haven’t finished the regular challenge either, but I can say that I wish it were scored at matchpoints. One decision, not influenced by the scoring, will be more costly at imps.

procrastinator wins the regular challenge with +30.41 the only positive score. I should have followed my own advice: Don’t bid a grand unless you are sure that all your competitors will be in at least 6. Here they all were, as it turns out. (But the advice would still have said don’t, since I couldn’t be sure they would be.) The “rule” should have another condition: “and you are sure you have all the first-round controls.” Here we didn’t.

NN and I tied for the Declare-only, scored at Imps, with +12.00

Both reissued. Declare-only watchpoints. AA out of regular, NN out of declare-only.

Lose to NN by 1. Reissued

ETA: win vs procrastinator by 41, by AA by 23. Both reissued

EATA: I win the regular group challenge with +19.00, by 10.75. VVV and procrastinator tie in the Declare-only, with 63.28% games, watchpoints. Both reissued, procrastinator out in the regular challenge, AA out in the declare-only.

EATA: Win vs NN by 1. Reissued

EATA: Win by 10 vs procrastinator. 23-all tie with AA. Both reissued.