Brag about your kids thread

That may trigger me to attack your arm

1 Like

My youngest just got published for the first time. The journal is a 9.2 something or other which you should all be very impressed by for some reason. He was pretty pumped.

He’s at the point where it’s beyond my comprehension, but it’s cool that he’s excited about what he’s doing (micro bio research).

7 Likes

Or RAND()

If you embedded offsets into an IF with a RAND() criteria would excel just crash?

My kindergartener had a big project to do at home over the last month. We had to finish it up and record a video of it today. Spent a couple hours on it.

He had a positive attitude and kept offering up creative above and beyond contributions to the project to make it as good as he could. I was fighting a bad attitude about it internally (what’s the worst that will happen if we don’t do the project? He fails social studies and gets a frowny face on his report card and still gets to go on to first grade? So what?), but was so proud of him for his hard work on it.

6 Likes

2yr old randomly counted to 10 in Spanish in the tub the other night. We didn’t even know she could and it just came out of nowhere.

…also may need crossposting in the ‘Im a bad parent because I dont even know what my kid can do’ thread? :man_shrugging:

3 Likes

If she did it without replacement, I’d be pretty impressed too. Much harder than in order.

ALS’s kid be like:

1 Like

My son frequently drops words like “hypothetically” or “implication” and began recording the first take of his school video yesterday with “hello everyone, like and subscribe below” so I know he’s pretty much being raised by Youtube. At least your kid is probably learning educational things, and not watching videos of Duddy.

5 Likes

Just picked my son up from weight lifting for track. He was sweaty and stinky and wearing Gym clothes.

My son: Dad, can you stop by the golf club on the way home so I can apply for a job?

Me: Uh no :joy:

3 Likes

During my “every 5 years or so” reading of Gödel, Escher, Bach I decided to give my 12 year old one of the “puzzles”:

Find the next number in the sequence: 1, 3, 7, 12, 18, 26, 35, 45, 56, 69, …

He figured it out a lot faster than I expected him to. He did so by finding a pattern in the 2nd differences. I hadn’t even thought of looking at it that way. I think he might be almost ready for calculus… need to introduce him a bit more to limits is all.

2 Likes

My son has auditory sensory issues and is especially terrified of automatic commercial toilets flushing. But today in school he had to pee and he used the toilets anyway before he had an accident. This is a huge growth moment for him and he lit up when he told me about it.

6 Likes

that’s cute

My 20 yo was just offered a “study place” from the University of Helsinki in the following “programme”: Master’s Admission, Master’s Programme in Genetics and Molecular Biosciences, Master of Science (2 years)

[red]I’m not sure if I want her going to a school that doesn’t know how to spell “program” but I guess you take what you can get[/goawayyouredcommie]

9 Likes

I once read a random interview of a mom whose daughter won the Putnam. She was talking raising her kids and said something like… “well I didn’t really want to home school, but then my first grader was reading the GEB and I didn’t know what else to do.”

My son said “thanks for dinner, Mom” last night.

5 Likes

Your WHAT?! But that would make you… thinks

…carry the one…

“Programme”??? Sounds like some hi klass :poop: that Jaskent would brag about.

2 Likes

She takes after my wife, her mother, in terms of smarts and determination and work ethic. She was also fortunate to be able to attend HS in MN where they have a PSEO program. Her first year after HS she was already considered a college-Junior in terms of credits earned. Also, she has an 08/31 BD, so she’s always been the youngest in her class…classmates who were sometimes almost a year older than she is/was (usually boys (nttawwt)).

That would make me…the proud dad? …old?

3 Likes