Brag about your kids thread

That’s absolutely a magical time.
I remind people to get pictures around 18-20 months. It’s the best time for ‘baby’ pictures. They’re young enough to still be babies, but old enough to have distinctive looks.

I mostly like that she’s old enough now that she can enjoy some older kid books like charlotte’s web and the wizard of oz. I will miss it terribly if she hits an age where she no longer wants to be read to and I just have to read fairy tales to my wife instead! :slight_smile:

Just wait until she’s old enough to call her teacher a moron on an assignment and shout “It’s not that, it’s the whole [CENSORED]ing level that’s the problem!!” at her older brother.

…she got that part from her biological parents.

My kids liked being read to until my oldest graduated HS. Now, it’s more an issue of time than “being read to”.

Our 8yo is lazy about reading and hates it. He always loves being read to, though. I don’t expect that to change for a while, got a few more years at least.

She learned s*** and f*** at 4. Humble-brag on your kids.

Admittedly she doesn’t understand the adjective forms yet.

1 Like

We do Christmas on the 24th here. This morning, my 5yo son came over to me in the middle of opening his presents, took my hand in his gently, and said “merry Christmas, mom.” I think it might be the purest moment of happiness in my life to date. I am so proud of the person he is growing into.

3 Likes

Don’t tell my 5 year old, she has been telling me how many days until Christmas since it was 10 days away, she’d be thrilled for it to instead be today, haha.

1 Like

Speaking of 5 year olds, I was thinking of getting her a little something in the days leading up to Christmas for unrelated reasons but then there’s the issue of getting a gift for her 3 year old sister too (lest she feel left out). In the end I landed on walkie talkies addressed from Amazon to my 5 year old and she has been obsessed with them for the last few days.

My 3 year old struggles a bit with the notion of holding down the button as you talk, but other than that it has been a surprisingly good, small gift for the pair of them.

My daughter has been working for an American company for a year. The called this week and promoted her to frontline management. She’s really kicking it in her career, considering she’s mid twenties and only 2 years out of school.

Nobody in our family has ever been in a professional career and been promoted, so it’s quite a milestone.

2 Likes

:face_with_raised_eyebrow:

My family tree is filled with people who work low paying jobs and live at sustinence levels or less. My daughter was also the first one with a university degree. Second degree in the family was my son. third was my niece and fourth was me (class of 2020), yay!

8 Likes

Youngest finished 1st in her 1st collegiate competition last night. Of course the opposing team didn’t bring any pole vaulters, but she is a true freshman and one of the older girls on her team holds the school record for indoor. She also provisionally qualified for the NCAA championships based on her vault.

The other daughter had her first opera of the season last night. It was interesting because it was uncostumed and socially distanced with masks (so basically people spread out on stage singing songs through masks).

One benefit of COVID is both were live streamed since no spectators/audience were allowed at either event so I could watch both from the comfort of my home thousands of miles away. I hope the live streaming continues even when things open back up.

1 Like

Apparently the pole vaulter got another tattoo this weekend. That isn’t the part I am bragging about. The braggy part is the fact it was the molecular structure for caffeine. I blame it on her mother raising her on Gilmore Girls during the formative years.

She’s also a Chemical Engineering major, which probably informs the decisions.

3 Likes

I’m not big into tattoos, but that’s a pretty cool one to do given her interests

Now to figure out how to convert commercial insurance pricing into a tattoo…

I’ve got the formula for the APV of term life insurance on my forearm. Juuuuuust in case I need it someday.

My daughter, the genetic counsellor, has a tattoo of a flower where the stem is a DNA strand.

Forearm kitty paw tattoos that I made pixelated in Excel!!

My kids do not have tattoos though. I’m not even sure they’ve really grasped the concept that mine don’t come off.

:laughing: I wonder if that could be considered cheating if it was covered on an exam and you had it tattooed on your arm while taking it

When I look back, a good way of telling I went into the wrong profession is how utterly boring our tattoos are.

I think if I were going to do anything, it would be my own survival table. Or maybe some awful excel formula, like an indirect of an indirect that causes a rounding error.