Brag about your kids thread

won 2 of 2 games last night! I’m back on top, baby!

3 Likes

I think you meant to post in the “dunk on your kids” thread.

3 Likes

Our son is 15 and can’t tie shoes, he’s never liked anything but slip-on shoes. He can make a robot or 3D printer work, but laces are too much, lol.

1 Like

You guys have a very weird definition of “brag”.

2 Likes

I don’t brag much about my elder child but here’s one. She’s tutoring a 20yo kid to help him get his GED. (She’s 27.) She’s sort of adopted him as a little brother bc he doesn’t have much support at home. This morning she picked him up and took him to the ER bc he was in severe pain and no one else would take him. (He’ll be ok. Got dx and appropriate meds.) This is in spite of her own physical and mental health struggles the past 2 weeks.

Compassion. It gets me every time.

8 Likes

Sometimes a high achiever that hasn’t had significant struggles finds compassion very difficult to muster. Compassion is often shown most beautifully by those who struggle.

4 Likes

My daughter let me know her husband, an air force helicopter pilot, was awarded the Joint Service Commendation Medal for meritorious service while deployed as “Deputy Director, Regional Joint Personnel Recovery Center, Operations Directorate, Combined Joint Task Force - Horn of Africa”.

Hopefully, this will look good when he comes up for promotion to Major next year.

4 Likes

Not my kid, but an acquaintance’s son:

He’s 5 and on the spectrum. I’m watching him and his brother hopscotching on some chalk drawings and he says, “This is a semi-circle”. OK, isn’t that cute, he knows what a semi-circle is. Next jump he makes he says, “This is infinity”. WHOA, WHOA, WHOA!!! Yup, there’s a crude infinity symbol in chalk on the ground!!! :astonished: :exploding_head: I find out that he is huuuuuuge into math and reading at about a 4th grade level.

2 Likes

this “spectrum” makes no sense. My cousin is autistic and his IQ seems pretty low. He had to be taught to speak at all, speaks in robot like tones, and he might read, but not at a normal level, let alone at a genius level.

They throw way too many people into this spectrum where there is this false assumption that autistic people are more intelligent than average. my experience with my cousin is that it’s far less intelligent.

I’m not sure you understand what the autistic spectrum is or how different people on the spectrum can be.

Or maybe you don’t understand what “brag” means.

But either way, that post probably doesn’t need to be in this thread.

1 Like

Sometimes people on the spectrum have problems like posting wherever they want.

2 Likes

22yo received her Master’s Degree in Translational Medicine today.

Now, whenever she asks me a question for which the answer is in the affirmative I can reply “Yeeeees, Master!”

7 Likes

I can’t even pretend to know what that means but congrats on the amazing accomplishment!

1 Like

Heh heh… the student speaker devoted part of her speech to “lament” how they spend effort to explain it. It’s , basically, the link between work done in the lab and how it applies to care given in the clinic/hospital.

…at least, that’s how I understand it.

Like trying to explain what an actuary is?

2 Likes

The little one and her Pollock impression :slight_smile:

4 Likes

more like John Squire…

Mini-T1 just graduated from college with a degree in Kinesiology - currently works with autistic kids
Mini-T2 is heading to Thailand for a month (and just turned 21)

7 Likes

So many kids seem to be heading to Thailand. It was “the thing” for university age kids a generation ago when my oldest daughter went and seems to have staged a comeback. My oldest granddaughter went for a month this past December and it was swarming with Western youngsters. Several kids on my block are there now. Not as culturally interesting as some of the neighbouring countries but a great, cheap place to party.

1 Like

I think that is age dependent still no?

I would be ok to let our daughter go at 16 or so

But not a chance before then. Thailand may be cheap and “new”, but it also has a lot of low-level crime and violence.

Japan is next on our radar, and I have no issues with taking our little one there. Very safe country.