Brag about your kids thread

i don’t get it.

not that i particularly want to, either, so don’t worry about explaining anything to me. i’ll just be over here old-man-yells-at-sky-ing it up for the next two decades.

I let her make a sandwich.
She bites the bread because “a chef must taste everything”.
She isn’t strong enough to squeeze the mayonnaise.
It’s a mess of pastrami and shredded cheese.
She declares it beautiful, eats 1 bites, and puts it down.
Claims she now has ‘powers’.
Runs back and forth across our kitchen 10 times.
Runs to the living room also, but there’s a book on the floor.
So she sits down, starts reading.
20 minutes pass. I read and eat some of her sandwich.
A neighbor knocks. They found a package of ours that had been discarded after having been stolen from our porch.
I tell her what happened, she says “Wait a minute, someone ACTUALLY STOLE IT?”
I say “Yes! You know how…” but she’s already sitting on the floor reading her book.

2 Likes

How old is she?

:sweat_smile:

She is 6 now.

1 Like

She sounded like 6!

Saw this today and thought of you.

3 Likes

i see this and I think, damn, only 100 times a day? that’s not a lot for 6 billion adults…

3 Likes

We bribe our kids with an hour of delayed bedtime for every half hour they read during the summer, max of 3 hours delayed (so midnight).

My son has been reading for 2 hours today and doesn’t want to stop. Kind of reminds me of myself as a kid - only I didn’t have a tv or tablet as options, so reading was one of the few things I could do without going outside.

8 Likes

I got sent outside with my books :laughing:

2 Likes

One of the boys in my son’s second grade class broke his leg. My son opted to skip the Halloween costume parade at school to hang out with him so he wouldn’t feel left out, and my son’s favorite thing in the world is costumes. He has such a kind heart.

7 Likes

Yesterday, 20 yo informed us that she made the semifinals for NATS, a singing competition (more specifically, Minnesota NATS…which is different from MN gnats & MN Fats).

Today, she informed us that she is one of three finalists.

Last weekend, she sang for her aunt’s wedding. I can confirm that she’s pretty awesome.

9 Likes

She got third place & a $90 prize. Woo hoo!

8 Likes

OK, not my kid, but my sister’s. Could have put in Happy Thoughts, but I am very proud of her, so here it is.

One of my nieces won state in 100Y Breast for 13U. She was seeded first and got to choose her walk-up music, which I thought was fun. The next day, she won 200Y Breast by 7 seconds, from the second heat.

5 Likes

Almost-21 yo directed a piece for her college choir today.

She has a voice recital on 05/01.

6 Likes

Not sure if it is national or regional, but near us, kids take GATE testing to assess if they are gifted and some other word that starts with t (talented?). There is a screening test first to see if above 90th percentile, then a longer second test to see if 98th percentile or higher to qualify.

My kids took the screening. I got the email to let us know they qualified for the second test the next day. As I looked over to tell my son he would need to take the test, he was having trouble taking off his shoe. Because he had neglected to untie it. He is 13.

7 Likes

Humblebrag about your kids knowing how to tie their shoes. My sons are 10 and 7. The older CAN tie his shoes but hates to, and my younger refuses to learn at all. Both gifted, lol.

4 Likes

My 42 year old son had a life changing bicycle accident three years ago resulting in severe brain trauma and other physical injuries. He was very athletic and an adventurous traveller whose injuries have greatly curtailed his life style.

He is determined to continue pursuing his love of travel and left recently for six weeks of travel in NZ and Australia. From his previous travel industry job he has a network of colleagues and friends to support him wherever he travels there. It is very difficult for him to create and retrieve new memories but with the help of his therapists he has learned to document everything he needs to know in his phone calendar so he always knows where he is supposed to be at what time. I am so proud of how he has tried so hard to adapt to his new circumstances. He exhibits no anger over his new lot in life.

We still worry about him and felt he was not capable of solo travel in countries where he would be more likely to be taken advantage of. (He is visibly disabled.) He had wonderful times in Cambodia and Vietnam years before his accident and wanted to go back there. That gave me a good excuse to accompany him in those countries in April and May to help ensure his safety.

When I was young I thought there would be an age when you could finally stop bragging or worrying about your kids. That is not the case!

12 Likes

Our youngest, a computer genius who built our desktop at 14 (now 29), was totally embarrassed at his age 16 physical exam when the doctor had to teach him how to tie his shoes. :smiley:

2 Likes

my youngest (14m) asked me to play chess recently. apparently he’s been watching Gotham chess and learning openings! I won 2-1 on the first day (Saturday) and he won 2-1 on Sunday. This dude and his brother (17m) can already beat me at bowling. Can’t lose this, too! Imma have to up my game if I want to hold on to my ego.

5 Likes