Brag about your kids thread

21 yo is taking the MCAT tomorrow…which is already today where she is atm (Germany).

11 Likes

Daughter was awarded “Best Female Vocalist” at the Lorenzo De’ Medici International Choral Festival held in Florence Italy.

8 Likes

You must be very proud.

My middle daughter did her Masters at LSE in London about 15 years ago. She fell in love with London and will never come back to live on this side of the Atlantic. That should be less of a risk with Helsinki as it will not provide the employment and lifestyle advantages your child would find stateside.

Just sat through my oldest granddaughter’s high school graduation ceremonies (I am feeling old tonight). She is taking a gap year before starting environmental sciences at university.

3 Likes

I had to smile when Waterloo Lutheran changed its name to Wilfrid Laurier in the early 1970’s. Zero connection to Wilfrid Laurier except they shared the same initials. But I guess that was better than changing the name to Willy Loman University.

Greenboy’s soccer team won the State Cup with a 1-0 win in the finals. We scored with less than 1 minute left on an own goal (greenboy is taking credit for knocking their player off balance so he hit the ball into his own net).

Our reward is a 9-10 hour drive to Regionals which happens to overlap with quarter end.

8 Likes

our older guy was at state for baseball. the reward for top 3 was a trip to regionals in some sad town in the middle of kansas for like 9 days starting…3 days after the state tournament was over. no one wanted to win that prize. hope your regionals are more exciting!

2 Likes

We got about 3.5 weeks before heading out. In poking around online some state tournaments aren’t for 2 more weekends, I feel sorry for those parents.

Kids are going by themselves with the coaches a few days early (and all staying 3 to a hotel room, we won’t be staying with them) to get a scrimmage and practice in. Most parents are going down the day before. I could be there only 3 nights if they don’t make it out the group stage or I could be there 6 nights if the make it to the finals.

And god forbid they pull a miracle and win this then I am off to Orlando in the middle of July for nationals.

3 Likes

it’s all good as long as those red commies don’t spell it ‘pogrom’.

1 Like

My youngest daughter turns 20 today. I asked her what she did this weekend and she sent me a picture of her doing a beer bong. I can’t be upset - I did that when I was 18-20 as well.

2 Likes

And our assigned group hotel is 45 minutes away from the fields.

I guess there is a draft of hotels and the states rotate draft picks to make it equitable over time. This year our state was 12th out of 14.

2 Likes

I’m so proud of my 20 y/o - she beat teen pregnancy!

7 Likes

Headed to the niagara region tonite. My daughter is running a full marathon tomorrow morning, so I guess I have about 3-4 h ours to kill. To bad it wasn’t in the afternoon, or we’d be liquored up at the wineries while we wait :).
I gotta get running again so I can ramp up to a half. I think this will be the only full my daughter does, and I can’t do a full (tried, got injured) but I can do a half. So we could do a half together sometime.
Except she runs like a gazelle, like my buddy I’ve done half’s with, and me, well I call it running with the whales - I’m at the back with all the fat folks. She does a half in about 2 hours, and I’m good if I crack 3. My buddy always finishes, then has to stand around for an hour until I collapse across the line lol.

1 Like

Niagara on the Lake is great for cycling if you want to rent a bike to kill time and exercise at the same time.

It’s nice for casual cycling for sure. But I did a century there years ago that ran us along the lake - beautiful, but the wind made the cycling brutal. I enjoyed the scenery but it was a rough ride :).
We had the same problem a few years ago in PEI. We cycled tip to tip, but the trail started like 5 or 7k away from the actual tip. So we backtracked from the head of the trail to the actual tip of the island. Short ride, but the wind along the ocean was brutal. My spouse complained ALOT.
Now I’m starting to recall all the times I’ve cycled near large bodies of water and not had fun. Ottawa-Kingson’s another one. The headwinds coming into Kingston off the st. lawrence were absolutely brutal, particulary at the end of a long ride.
Thanks for dredging up all the memories though :).

2 Likes

There were a lot of cyclists there, entire packs of people on peewee herman bikes doing winery tours. Nice spot.

We got to the finish line an hour early so we could take pics of my daughter. So im standing for an hour clapping and cheering all the finishers, and my spouse says ‘there goes our daughter!’ She ran right past us and waved, me clapping like an idiot and didnt recognize her. So no finish line pics lol.

2 Likes

My daughters were at my ex’s wedding this last week. They were calling and texting me more often than usual. I have a sliver of guilt, sadness, I don’t know what else. But I am happy and proud of the ex and her new husband. Be happy!

Aaaaand I no longer owe maintenance to the ex. Oooooh that FEELS SOOOO FLICKEN GOOD!!!

8 Likes

older kid graduated college this spring. and now is starting his career. no time in the minors, straight to “The Show”!

Working for a regional commercial insurance agency on a client team starting in a couple of weeks. Super happy for him, as he actually is feeling good about the gig. (I was surprised he entered this industry, but I did tell him that all his experience in that city will translate to ANY US city should he choose to ever leave it.)

2 Likes

How do you know she didn’t get an abortion?