Biden's first press conference

Are you saying there isn’t an index that could have generated a 20 buck an hour rate now from the 7.20 back then?

It’s entirely possible that he conflated indexing to now from different minimum wages and hence years.

It would require an index other than inflation. Maybe housing, maybe inflation plus productivity increases?

Oh, you can create an index that could do it. But, I’ll let this explain it.

Also, watched ghostbusters last night and Winston said “This job isn’t worth 11.5 a year”. With inflation, that’s only ~$29,000 in 2021. Nope, nope, nope.

One analysis is productivity gains since 1968 would put you in the $20s, but that opens a whole new line of debate around “How should the benefit of productivity increases be split between businesses and employees?”. That isn’t really a discussion of the purpose of a minimum wage keeping people out of poverty. One thing that has been woefully missing from the current MW debate is other approaches to avoid poverty, like EITC for example. If wages are set to keep you out of poverty and poverty is dependent on household size, that is an argument for paying different wages to workers with different sized households, which sounds really unfair to most people.

Something has been scheduled for Thursday March 25, 2021 in the afternoon.

will likely go down as a non-issue.

Like the debates last year where it was thought biden would fall off the stage.

but should kill off the hype at least.

Right. The EITC is substantially better than the minimum wage. It puts the money where it is needed and doesn’t have negative market effects.

My guess is that the political support for the mw comes from the mostly mistaken belief that “big profitable companies” will pay the higher mw and simply accept lower profits. And, everyone understands mw, lots of people don’t understand EITC.

I don’t get cable TV. But, I happened to be in a hotel this week and flipping channels ran into C-Span just before Biden started a 10 minute talk on naming Gene Sperling as rescue plan coordinator.

I thought “good job” as speaker. I’m sure Biden was reading from a teleprompter, but it sounded like he wrote the text. It came off naturally in his own voice. He hit the points he wanted to make then got off the stage.

This is a huge improvement over that other guy.

Of course Biden was reading from a teleprompter - that’s how “normal” presidents do it.

we act like telepromter is some new evil.

sure everything seems weird now after watching trump take a sht on the floor in front of the press every day.

wana really blow the minds of the common folk- your news anchors are reading off the telepromter too…

Go f*** yourself, San Diego

I do the cha cha like a sissy girl

We want our NASCAR crashes! If all the cars on connected to some slot on the track, well, what’s the point of watching??

I don’t understand why it’s an evil at all, new or old. When i have an important speech to deliver, i write it out and have my notes handy. When i deliver a presentation i include talking points in my PowerPoint notes. When i decided to tell an anecdote about my father at his funeral, one I’d told many times before, i wrote it out, and edited it down, and had the exact words i planned to say in front of me.

You’d have to have extremely poor judgement to go into a prepared speech without having a written version in front of you.

1 Like

:iatp:

Agreed.
But that Era of Bad Feelings is over.

the stigma of the telepromter is the perception that the speaker is just reading someone elses words and ideas. In the current presidency, that just adds onto the view that Biden isnt really in control of the current administration. Pointing to the teleprompter is a way for his critics to claim Biden is just part of a ventriloquist act.

To be honest I could care less when any politician uses a teleprompter for a prepared speech. Its a good tool for that and they’d be fools not to unless they are gifted orators.

My concern is the man is being protected from having to answer questions on the fly. Even over items he should have been briefed on and know exactly how to answer. That indicates they don’t trust him to think on his feet. The POTUS has to be able to think clearly and quickly as part of the job.

1 Like

I really remember this stigma against the teleprompter starting during the obama presidency.

W. Bush (like biden) sometimes stumbled with words, unlike clinton or obama. so there was always this criticism that he wasn’t as smart, which i don’t think was fair on that basis at least.

but this criticism became stronger after katrina and the crash, and the press starting talking about bush like he was just in over his head. nobody had talked about a president like this before, i think it made some republicans really mad.

a main criticism against obama was that he was too inexperienced. i think that after he became president, the teleprompter criticism was an extension of that that also tried to turn the criticism of bush back on obama. the teleprompter was supposed to be evidence that obama was in over his head too. i always thought it was pretty weak.

Or he has a stutter and doesn’t like speaking on the fly. Since we know he has a stutter, that seems like the likely reason, honestly.